Upcoming Game!

Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Hello All,

After a quick design course and a break, I wanted to create another strategy game. Much easier to understand than King and the Dead. I have been spending a lot more time on the design and flow of the game.
Aiming to beat KATD and achieve more than 105 downloads.
Below is an image of the basic logic working. Took me a while to reach this stage so I am still early on in the development.
Game is a bit about colours, a bit about strategic placing tiles. Nothing too unique.
Will Share more soon.

Thanks,
Two.E

Comments

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited August 2016

Is it about connecting colors without crossing lines?
    I'm really curious to see how your final design will look like. I'm a sucker for anything clean or abstract or simple and I loved the way your previous works were designed. :)

• GreenfroggGamesGreenfroggGames Member Posts: 224

Looks interesting :)

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

Cool!

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276
    edited August 2016

Looks very interesting. Keep us updated on the project!

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599
    edited August 2016

@MentalDonkeyGames
    @BazookaTime
    @GreenfroggGames
    @Hoodloc

Below Shows What the Gameplay is like. I am Swiping to control the White Line. Need to block other lines. Currently it shown as each line taking its turn, but its normally instantly, just makes it easier to detect problems.

Thanks,
    Two.E

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Looks really nice ! :) I actually think each line taking its turn (as in your video) would look nicer than the other lines instantly making their move.

edited August 2016

@Socks said:
    Looks really nice ! :) I actually think each line taking its turn (as in your video) would look nicer than the other lines instantly making their move.

Thanks. The thing that is annoying is that the player would have to wait for a while after each move. Still deciding on the perfect timing. Here is a video with things sped up.
    Currently Images are just appearing/disappearing, which will be replaced with animation to make it look its moving like a snake like game. Its making look it very confusing.

(Ignore The glitches)

Thanks,
    Two.E

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Awesome. Where does one take a "quick design course"?

Well done.

edited August 2016

Update:

This shows the movement. Then everything goes wrong.
    I've spent many hours trying to add in the movement, and its causing everything to break.
    I have re-writeen the logic a couple of times, each time improving on the other. Hopefully soon it will all be working.

Let me know what you think of the movement,
    Thanks
    Two.E

Movement looks good, could the movement not be done with a single 1 grid space animation (unless it already is being done like that) for both the growth and the shrinking of the tail ?

@Socks said:
    Movement looks good, could the movement not be done with a single 1 grid space animation (unless it already is being done like that) for both the growth and the shrinking of the tail ?

Can you explain further? Not sure I understand.

@Two.E said:

@Socks said:

Can you explain further? Not sure I understand.

I just thought that if the movement was causing issues (and assuming you are not already using this method) you could just use a simple animated line growth, and the same animation could be flipped for when the line is retracted, I was thinking this was fairly straightforward to do and compared to other methods has very low processor overheads.

Hold on, I'll make a quick demo of what I mean . . . .

edited August 2016

Here you go, demo attached, I've kept the line segments semitransparent so you can see what's going on . . . .

Obviously the line is moving random directions, but this is just to show the method of animating the line growth and retraction.

@Socks Thanks for the demo. I understand what you mean. Originally thats almost how the game was constructed until I wanted more control over the computer players and positioning. Therefore I built everything based on tables.

Here are the results:

Just one more major hurdle before its just tweaking and building some levels.
    Since everything can be changed by variables, the speed, the timing, the colour, the number of lines can all be included in a "Settings" option if suits.

Overall I hope its simple enough to understand while hoping to create some replay value.

Thanks
    Two.E

Update:

Been trying to work out a nice way to make a menu. In the past, my menu in my games have been just buttons. Hopefully this new one will make the game a bit more creative.
    Here is the logic of the menu so far. The White lines will be replaced with some colour. I need to rearrange the positioning of the lines so that when it scales to iPhone, it looks similar. Still a long way to go.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
    Two.E

Brilliant design.

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
    Two.E

Title screen looks great ! :)

Thanks @Toque
    Much appreciated @timolapre1998
    Cheers @Socks

Update:
    As I come to the end of Day 3 of development, I've been working on making sure everything scales well. Plus a few changes and added features. Next up is more logic with title screens and gameplay and maybe some colour/design work.

Thanks,
    Two.E

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Looking good. I really like how the menu looks.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

@MentalDonkeyGames Thanks for the continued feedback :) Hopefully the final product will be received well.

Update:
    Today was a busy day for me resulting in not much being done on the game. However I did a lot of little things that help shape the game.

• Added two extra colours
    • Added in 10 levels (I like the way these levels don't really do much but are great to play) Much like KATD, these are not actual levels, but rather different Board designs that can played at anytime to add something new to do.
    • Come up and registered Game Name. Plus Logo.
    • Made some rough designs for Icon.
    • Fixed a few glitches so now gameplay runs flawlessly. Have not run into a single problem which is very exciting so far.
    • Tweaked swipe controls. Needs more work to find a good balance
    • Added to Title Screen improvements and buttons.
    • Working on Demo Video for Publisher submissions (Not sure if game is good enough for publishers).
    • Sent out first beta testing build.

Still have a few hours left to work on it tonight. Its only day 4 and motivation is slowly disappearing because I have just played my 1 000 game (For testing etc).

Below is a board design. The Black dots (might change to grey as background) mean you can't move into that area. Very simple concept but trying hard not to over complicate things while keeping things well balanced.

As always,
    Thanks for the support,
    Two.E

Update:

End of Day 4 of development (Not sure if its day 4 or 5).
    Managed to get the logic working for selecting a new board design before starting a level.
    Still has a few issues.
    Such as repeating the same level. Need to look into picking a random number excluding current number. Shouldn't be too difficult.
    Would love some opinions if the designs looks too slow, or the effect is too much. Trying to keep it all simple.
    Also added a increasing/decreasing starting colour effect so the player (Colour White) knows where to start.

Thanks,
    Two.E

edited August 2016

@Two.E said:
    Need to look into picking a random number excluding current number. Shouldn't be too difficult.

You can do it like this: (C+random(0,(R-2)))%R+1

Where R=the range of values and C=current value.

So for example the following . . .

(4+random(0,3))%5+1

. . . will choose a random number between 1 and 5 (the range of values) excluding 4 (the current value), and the following . . .

(7+random(0,18))%20+1

. . . will choose a random number between 1 and 20 (the range of values) excluding 7 (the current value), so the following is the rule (using a range of 20 as an example) . . .

change current value to (current value+random(0,18))%20+1

Update:
    End of the day. First lot of feedback came through. Menu needs improvement in the moving lines section. This meant doubling the number of actors, creating a new path for them to follow. So I did and the results are below (in white until the colour version is tested and rest of menu is in the correct position). Too busy for the next day or two to work on it.

Thanks @Socks for the formula. Have not had a chance to put it to use yet though. Looks very helpful.

Thanks,
    Two.E

Looks like brain gyrus. Cool.

• GreenfroggGamesGreenfroggGames Member Posts: 224

Beautiful work :)

edited August 2016

Update:

Fixed Problem. More info later. Thanks

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

Looks cool, I am glad you decided to make another game.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Have to say - really like the look of this one! Great job!

edited August 2016

Thanks everyone!

After 8 Days of development, This will be my last update on the progress due to I have decided to try go with one of my favourite game publishers.

Here is the development/design process for the Menu Title game. I personally think it turned out great. Considering the gameplay is quite minimalistic, the menu is an important part in attracting and portraying the quality your game has.

Thanks again for the support and the motivation to keep developing. My original goal was 10 days to finish a game. I almost made it.
    I look forward to announcing the release sometime in the near future as well my next 10 day game project.

Thanks to @Icebox I can show the menu in action.

Best,
    Two.E