Do loops in my code cause GS to crash?

3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

I recently found a bad coding in my game, basically I used a table as an attribute in the comparison expression editor.
GS was crashing so many times until I realised this bad code and removed it.

So my question is:
Is my coding the reason for GS's ongoing instability? (my game is very complex)
Will the time come when GS won't allow for you to make illogical coding or coding that will cause crashes?
I know this is easier said than done, but I'm pretty sure it will be the biggest optimization this software could ever have.

Comments

• NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387

It is probably you're coding causing the instability like you said, I never see CRASHING issues. The updates you say would be interesting and helpful, but I can't speak for GS and don't expect that to happen... good insight

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@abuabed84 said:
    Is my coding the reason for GS's ongoing instability?

I wasn't aware GameSalad suffered from ongoing instability ?

It is - of course - impossible to answer these kinds of questions without knowing what your code looks like.

• 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

I wasn't aware GameSalad suffered from ongoing instability ?

Yes, I think I'm the only one facing this problem.
    In my case GS crashed more than 20 times in the past 2 hours I've been working on it.
    I seriously messed up my code, I can't even look into it due to all the crashes.
    It's not even the preview that's crashing, simply double clicking on an actor makes GS crash.

It is - of course - impossible to answer these kinds of questions without knowing what your code looks like.

I think it would be plausible if the GS team gathered and made the engine more "locked" and less likely for the user to create a looped or a never ending code.
    Programming can get pretty complex, and for a beginner like me, creating mistakes is often times more likely.
    I think it would be best if for example when creating a numeric expression rule the TBL's are greyed out unless they are actually used as tables in the expression editor.
    This is just a small example of how adjusting the coding into making it more "locked" will lead to far less instabilities and crashes and will make GS a more complete and polished piece of software.

@abuabed84 said:
    Yes, I think I'm the only one facing this problem.
    In my case GS crashed more than 20 times in the past 2 hours I've been working on it.

Wow, that must be a real pain in the **** ! :# Have you tried reinstalling GameSalad ?
    As I just said elsewhere, I can't even remember the last time GameSalad crashed, it must crash less than once or twice a year.

Wow, that must be a real pain in the **** ! :# Have you tried reinstalling GameSalad ?
    As I just said elsewhere, I can't even remember the last time GameSalad crashed, it must crash less than once or twice a year.

Yes it was stable for the past month or so,
    but I've started a new scene this week and I'm facing issues.
    The problem isn't with GS, it's with my coding.
    Although ideally I think GS shouldn't crash at all no matter what the user does with his codes.

Have you tried reinstalling GameSalad ?

I'm gonna try to restart my computer it's been on for a week, maybe that will fix the problem.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

I'm an extremely heavy GS user and I get maybe a couple of crashes a week. There are certain things that will cause crashes, though, particularly on preview. As someone else mentioned in another thread - if it crashes when you hit Preview, it's almost certainly your code. If it crashes as you're just doing your logic, it's almost certainly not.

Things like invalid loops, actors that spawn themselves, invalid table references are much more likely to crash GameSalad. They could definitely build in better error catching and crash protection, but I'd really rather them spend their time on other things, personally.

edited August 2016

it's almost certainly your code. If it crashes as you're just doing your logic, it's almost certainly not.

Makes sense, I was thinking the same.
    But in my situation it's the opposite, GS keeps crashing when I double click on an actor. It doesn't crash when hit the preview button. Game is stable during preview.
    Today I haven't been able to work. It crashed around 20 times by simply double clicking on an actor.

it's almost certainly your code. If it crashes as you're just doing your logic, it's almost certainly not.

I also spent the day looking for errors in my code in case the problem was within the code and not from GS, I couldn't find anything my logic is free of any errors.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331
    edited August 2016

@abuabed84 said:

Makes sense, I was thinking the same.
    But in my situation it's the opposite, GS keeps crashing when I double click on an actor. It doesn't crash when hit the preview button. Game is stable during preview.
    Today I haven't been able to work. It crashed around 20 times by simply double clicking on an actor.

That's a GS bug then. Possibly related to your logic, but not caused by the logic being "wrong" per se. Definitely submit a bug report, particularly if you can reproduce the crash reliably.

my logic is free of any errors.

I can guarantee that's not true :P There's not one of us here who writes logic free from errors, especially not in a large game.

@abuabed84 said:
    GS keeps crashing when I double click on an actor.

Maybe your GS file is corrupted, have you tried reverting to an earlier version of your project to see if this also causes GS to crash when you click on an actor ?

I can guarantee that's not true :P There's not one of us here who writes logic free from errors, especially not in a large game.

You're right

Maybe your GS file is corrupted, have you tried reverting to an earlier version of your project to see if this also causes GS to crash when you click on an actor ?

If it keeps crashing I will revert to an older saved file

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I agree with @socks more than likely your file was corrupted. If not try a clean install of creator.