State Of GameSalad - What's happening!?!?

2»

Comments

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

@Toque said:

@zweg25 said:
    Do you think Gamesalad would ever release the source code? Maybe for a paid price or something? That way users can attempt their own updates for certain features like camera interaction or such. Just an id

The code has value. Investors or courts would sell it to recoup some of their $. I can't see them giving it away ever. I'm guessing what we think of GS are really employees of an investor group (unless they are investors themselves). Probably a small board of directors.

True, but if you could think of a way to open source it without someone stealing it you could potentially get more programmers working on the code then you have now.

• NNterprisesNNterprises Member, PRO Posts: 387

@zweg25 said:

@Toque said:

@zweg25 said:
    Do you think Gamesalad would ever release the source code? Maybe for a paid price or something? That way users can attempt their own updates for certain features like camera interaction or such. Just an id

The code has value. Investors or courts would sell it to recoup some of their $. I can't see them giving it away ever. I'm guessing what we think of GS are really employees of an investor group (unless they are investors themselves). Probably a small board of directors.

True, but if you could think of a way to open source it without someone stealing it you could potentially get more programmers working on the code then you have now.

It sounds good, but may not be the best move if you think about all the aspects. Stealing the code is only the start of awful things that could happen. The best way to do it would just be to hire more contractual programmers instead of getting open coders.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Maybe? I don't know anything about open source software business to comment there.
    A plugins kind of system would be very cool!!! People could make their own plug ins.....