Start-Up Ads - Can I limit them?

Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Hello,

Fairly new to these start-up ads. Which appear when the app is opened. Is it possible to limit when they appear?
For instance, I really don't want an ad popping up as soon as someone downloads and plays the game. But after the first use, I don't mind if it pops when the app is opened because the player has already played the game.

I also don't want to have to make scene changes just to activate an ad because loading times are terrible.
Looking for a solution.

Thanks,
Two.E

Comments

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313

sure it's possible. just don't use the start-up ads. just use the interstitial ads and manually show the ads at the beginning when you want to. for example when game.firstuse = 0 then change game.firstuse to 1, save the attribute and don't show an ad. next time when they open the app load the attribute and when game.firstuse = 1 then show an ad.
    you can use the pause game behavior to activate an ad and immediately unpause. no need to change scene.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@timolapre1998 said:
    sure it's possible. just don't use the start-up ads. just use the interstitial ads and manually show the ads at the beginning when you want to. for example when game.firstuse = 0 then change game.firstuse to 1, save the attribute and don't show an ad. next time when they open the app load the attribute and when game.firstuse = 1 then show an ad.
    you can use the pause game behavior to activate an ad and immediately unpause. no need to change scene.

Correct me if I am wrong, are you saying that when the game launches, and I then check a rule to see if "Display Ads = True"
    and then Pause Game (Show Ad) and then After 0 seconds, Un pause.
    Would this mean that even if no ad is shown because it can not reach the servers, that the game will just quickly pause and un pause. Will it a show a loading wheel?
    If it doesn't show a loading wheel then why don't people just use pause to change scenes rather than the actual change scene behaviour?

Thanks,

• -Timo--Timo- Member Posts: 2,313

@Two.E said:
    Correct me if I am wrong, are you saying that when the game launches, and I then check a rule to see if "Display Ads = True"
    and then Pause Game (Show Ad) and then After 0 seconds, Un pause.
    Would this mean that even if no ad is shown because it can not reach the servers, that the game will just quickly pause and un pause.

That's correct.

Will it a show a loading wheel?

yes, it will still show a loading wheel but it should be faster than changing scenes.

If it doesn't show a loading wheel then why don't people just use pause to change scenes rather than the actual change scene behaviour?

it's a completely different behavior. It depends which one is better to use.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@timolapre1998
    Great! Thanks for the help. I will have to look into it more and do some test, but I am 100% sure I am not allowed any loading wheels so this is going to be tough to work around.

Many Thanks,
    Two.E