Indie Game: the Movie

BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

I know a lot of you may have seen Indie Game: The movie as it was talked about on these forums a few years ago, But I just found out myself that there was a sequel made thats now on Netflix called Indie Game: Life after thought some of you might like to see it if you don't know.

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

Thanks for the heads up. I'll watch it and share some tidbit if it's cool.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187
    edited September 2016

Too bad. Not on Netflix Canada.

Now I really want to watch it

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

Nice one..

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634
    edited September 2016

Just finished watching the sequel. I'm actually glad they made a sequel and you're not wondering what happened (without resorting to Google, of course). It's good to see the little guys win. The big names are making things tougher for the little guy, even Apple with their periodic changes to the App Store. I'd like to see these guys revisited in about ten years' time, and see if they can still do the indie thing.

Maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough on the matter (this is still a hobby for me), but I feel indies should be more supportive of one another in terms of sharing knowledge and getting represented in venues where otherwise no one individual would have a voice. With a lot of candy crush and CoD type games out there, where everything is the same, fresh ideas can stand out, but it's just one individual in a sea of billions. Not sure if I'm making any sense to you.

Another thing that stuck in my head was the number of years invested in a game. Five years on Fez. I mean, some computers break before then!

BTW - there were a couple of shots where you could see them coding. What were they using? If you look at the Apple Developer page, it has the colors they used at WWDC 16, and looks like Swift. In the movie, though, some of them are clearly not using Apple computers.

Thanks for sharing!

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

I thought the sequel was awful compared to the first one, I would have liked to see a new set of indies making it big!

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

@mhedges said:
    Maybe I'm not knowledgeable enough on the matter (this is still a hobby for me), but I feel indies should be more supportive of one another in terms of sharing knowledge and getting represented in venues where otherwise no one individual would have a voice. With a lot of candy crush and CoD type games out there, where everything is the same, fresh ideas can stand out, but it's just one individual in a sea of billions. Not sure if I'm making any sense to you.

BTW - there were a couple of shots where you could see them coding. What were they using? If you look at the Apple Developer page, it has the colors they used at WWDC 16, and looks like Swift. In the movie, though, some of them are clearly not using Apple computers.

Fez was built in a custom engine using XNA with C#, Super meat boy is again a custom engine, originally in flash then I believe c++ and I'm not sure with Braid but I'd assume c++ as well.

In terms of indies supporting indies - well, yes. There could be more but there is an awful lot already. They're spattered across different engine forums (like this one here, unity has their own etc.), places like reddit with r/gamedev and on Twitter. Game hosts like itchio are doing a great job at bringing people together. There are regular game jams like ludum dare which are hugely popular. There are blogs and cartoons on the subject, like the meatly etc etc. Sure there isn't one single place that's the default place - but there is a lot out there

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

@jay2dx said:
    I thought the sequel was awful compared to the first one, I would have liked to see a new set of indies making it big!

Having not seen the sequel, I can't comment on whether it's good or not - but I do like the aspect of following up. It's easy to assume that once you've made one big game that's it - I think it's interesting to see what happens next and feels like a better idea for a sequel to me.

That said, I'd love an ongoing TV show that highlights in brief the stories of game developers - maybe a half hour focussing on on team / game per episode? Probably not a big enough audience to justify the on-going costs though

Finally came up locally on my Netflix.

Fantastic movie. Love Edmund. A must see movie.

The sequel is ok. Both are must see movies.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

You tweaked my curiosity. The review above was interesting in itself. It alone has had 238 K views.
    But, as far as I can tell the movie is not available down under.

@PhilipCC said:
    You tweaked my curiosity. The review above was interesting in itself. It alone has had 238 K views.
    But, as far as I can tell the movie is not available down under.

It wasn't in Canada either but just came up recently. Keep checking. They are worth a watch.

• StoodeldStoodeld Member Posts: 7

">

I have played only this Indie game, good times :#