power meter with built in physics

goonergooner Lancaster, PAMember Posts: 135

for example, golf games usually have a swing or power meter where you can attempt to set the power of your swing ...

• would a power meter like this work well with the built in physics settings?
  • if so, what attributes would I want to adjust and apply the power of the swing to? (I've unsuccessfully been trying with bounciness)

thanks!

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Depending on the shape of the meter, you can usually just constrain the width of a rectangle to the duration of the click-and-hold or something like that. I've made a golf power meter so if you need more help, provide a few more details (e.g. a sketch or example of the type of meter you want).

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• goonergooner Lancaster, PAMember Posts: 135

thanks for the response ... in your golf meter how did you translate say a 50% meter swing into the actual power of the shot. Was there a certain physics attribute that you modified so that a weaker swing was portrayed accurately? Thanks!

It's been a while since I made that game but I believe it was just done with Rotate for the club and Collide for the ball. The Rotate behavior speed was determined by the power meter value.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• goonergooner Lancaster, PAMember Posts: 135

thanks for the help, i will try that! (adjusting rotate speed)

Yep, I checked and it was using Rotate.