monsterhybridmonsterhybrid Member Posts: 12
edited September 2016 in Miscellaneous

Comments

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

Don't share the idea with anyone untill you've done it.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

That's really all you can do but app ideas in my opinion have no value anyways.
    There are very few ideas that make a successful app.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited September 2016

Write the idea down on a piece of A4 paper, cut the paper into small pieces (around 1 inch x 1 inch) taking care not to lose any, and then quickly eat all of these pieces of paper making sure no one can see you, follow this by eating three softboiled eggs and half a tablespoon of cocoa powder.

When you later go to the toilet carefully place a small children's fishing net over the toilet bowl to capture the 'magical idea sausage' that will otherwise fall out of you bum and into the 'jaws of Poseidon'.

Carefully wrap the 'magical idea sausage' in two layers of aluminium foil and label it with your name, age and address, as well as a brief description of the game idea, then store the sausage in the freezer compartment of your fridge / freezer.

As a further precaution you can paint two large eyes onto the front of your fridge, this often fools people into thinking the fridge is in fact a large and potentially dangerous robot, humans are naturally cautious around robots so will tend to avoid making eye contact with it, which will further deter them from opening up its head looking for your game ideas.

Pretty much any court or legal system, when dealing with disputes over copyright, will recognise the 'magical idea sausage' as proof of ownership of an orginal concept, I keep all my best ideas stored in my freezer like this, I have over 200, and so far none of them have been copied.

I currently live by myself.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

Same here @Socks, however, instead of a random sheet of A4 paper, I use a tear-off calendar sheet of the appropriate day, preferably picturing a still-life to communicate austerity and its lucubratory origins.

Given the physicality and date-stamped nature of the final yield, makes this a perfect defense against imitators trying to copyright it for themselves, as it will count as valid "prior art".

@Hopscotch said:
    Same here @Socks, however, instead of a random sheet of A4 paper, I use a tear-off calendar sheet of the appropriate day, preferably picturing a still-life to communicate austerity and its lucubratory origins.

That's a nice touch, anything that supports your claim can only help (I now wonder if there's a market for calendar toilet paper as I have ideas all the time), from what I understand Flappy Bird was furtively scribbled across a 10" x 8" reproduction of Caravaggio's Basket of Fruit before the idea made its way to its frozen chocolaty tomb, so perhaps there is something in this still-life idea ?

@Hopscotch said:
    Given the physicality and date-stamped nature of the final yield, makes this a perfect defense against imitators trying to copyright it for themselves, as it will count as valid "prior art".

Yes, like I say it's a now a common sight in court during a copyright dispute to see a lawyer retrieve two or more 'silver bullets' from his briefcase to present to the court, generally speaking the judge will not need to unwrap them, instead making his judgement on their temprature, warm sausages tend to indicate a forgery, having only recently been 'laid'.

edited September 2016

@monsterhybrid

in addition to the more "hands-on" suggestions above, an idea cannot be protected.

You need to get the project done and marketed, if the idea is good it will attract copy-cats. In the end the better product and/or marketing wins. See Threes vs 2048.

If it is a novel but small game concept that is quick to reproduce, then I suggest getting it quietly done, then market and publish it.

If it is more extensive, then you may consider using the development time to build hype by showing your work in progress. This is a very successful marketing tool in game development. See Darkest Dungeon, or ehm No man's Sky.

The exposure, following and possible day-one customers you will attract by showing your progress, out-ways the danger of someone copying your idea. It can even act as a deterrent.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the execution of the idea that matters. If the idea is any good, once released, it will be copied ad nausea until people are sick of it in a matter of days. I'd be more focused on making the game than protecting it. I wish I had a dime for every person who has posted on this forum over the years thinking they have a "sure thing" idea. I'd have made more money than all those ideas combined. :p

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

Threes vs 2048 isn't as good a comparison as people make out. They're similar games, but 2048 is massively more accessible than Threes, and also free. 2048 was always going to win that battle.

edited September 2016

@Armelline which is precisely why I constructed the sentence that way: "In the end the better product and/or marketing wins." :)

2048 copied/stole/was inspired by the mechanics of Threes. But 2048 did make it more accessible as you say, and did a better marketing job. Threes clearly was constructed with more love and attention to detail, but that did not help.

Nearly got a Royal Flush ! :)

@Armelline said:
    They're similar games, but 2048 is massively more accessible than Threes, and also free. 2048 was always going to win that battle.

Agreed, I really like 2048, picked it up quickly and played it quite a lot, but I literally couldn't work out what I was doing with Threes and deleted it after a few attempts.

edited September 2016

Yes !!! :) :) :) At last, the legendary GSForums Royal Flush !!!

I feel honoured, I'd like to thank everyone involved, my parents for believing in me, my manager for sticking with me, even during that 'incident' back in 2014, my PR people, my spell checker, and of course the person who flagged my posts, I couldn't have done it without you ! :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

@Hopscotch said:
    @Armelline which is precisely why I constructed the sentence that way: "In the end the better product and/or marketing wins." :)

Good point :D Didn't notice/take that in!

• monsterhybridmonsterhybrid Member Posts: 12
    edited September 2016

Well this was enlightning or not. Thanks for the time all of it that it took all of it for some, to answer my question. Good to know people have a sense of humor... and alot of time lol

I dont think i have this master grand plan or anything just needed to take precautions and to know them... Thanks!!! I got that now.