Facebook Login for GS

HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
edited October 2016 in Working with GS (Mac)

Hi all,

I present you Facebook Login for GS, both iOS and Android, compatible with the latest Facebook integration specs, and future proof against the upcoming iOS and Android security changes ...

... but there is a catch ...

... due to limits in network functionality in GS, it forces the user to login via the browser, then return to the app (as presented in the video).

I would like to know from you, is this solution worth pursuing? Please give your comments and opinions.

P.S. Sorry about the mouse in the screen capture, it is all running off the device though.

Comments

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

Fully support this Roland as it's the closest integration we will ever see with GameSalad. Great work!

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Genius !

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

I think it's great, and even though it's through an external browser I think it has the added benefit of people seeing an actual facebook login page they know is trustworthy.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• chaosmasterrochaosmasterro Member, PRO Posts: 51

Beautiful.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Great.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@Hopscotch Sweet. I bet this is the closest (non system integrated) login we'll ever get. Very nice work!

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Would love to have that ability, Roland. Appformative is already a great tool and this would just be another reason for users to utilize the great system. Thumbs up from me!

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@gingagaming, @Socks, @AlchimiaStudios, @chaosmasterro, @Toque, @RowdyPants, @Braydon_SFX
    Thank you all for your replies.

The mechanics are working, as seen above. The integration in GS is also VERY simple.

The harder part will be explaining to users how to setup a registered Facebook page with AppID and SecretKey, as well as a solution for a return URL. This last part would typically be a page on the developers website. As this will have to be a SSL protected site, that may be a complication for developers.

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

@Hopscotch

Great job, go for it! (and I agree with previous posters).
    As for an SSL protected site that should not really be a problem.
    There are providers that provide HTTPS as per default, one good example is "wordpress.com" which provide SSL support for all domains and all web sites that users set up. It's enabled for free accounts also with no certificate setup required for the end user.

edited October 2016

@JSproject said:
    There are providers that provide HTTPS as per default, one good example is "wordpress.com" which provide SSL support for all domains and all web sites that users set up. It's enabled for free accounts also with no certificate setup required for the end user.

Thank you @JSproject

But is that true for your own domain? I know many offer SSL on subdomains, like "mysite.wordpress.com". However, usually a SSL root domain costs quite a bit monthly.

Subdomains are no good, not for facebook, or the new security standards which iOS is going to enforce from the end of the year.

@Hopscotch said:

@JSproject said:

Thank you @JSproject

You're welcome!

But is that true for your own domain? I know many offer SSL on subdomains, like "mysite.wordpress.com". However, usually a SSL root domain costs quite a bit monthly.

Subdomains are no good, not for facebook, or the new security standards which iOS is going to enforce from the end of the year.

Yes, a free subdomain for wordpress.com can be connected to your own domain name and SSL will be enabled automagically by wordpress.

Example:

https://lakeforce.com

@JSproject thanks, that solves that then.

For Facebook you will need

• a return URL, typically a page telling the user to close the browser to return to the app
    • a privacy policy page
    • and a terms and conditions page

@Hopscotch said:
    @JSproject thanks, that solves that then.

You're welcome!

For Facebook you will need

• a return URL, typically a page telling the user to close the browser to return to the app
    • a privacy policy page
    • and a terms and conditions page

Sounds easy.

• UncloudedStudioUncloudedStudio NetherlandsMember Posts: 285
    edited October 2016

I have a domain validation SSL (COMODO Possitive SSL) certificate including 1 subdomain that costs €8 a year.
    If i want to extend the validation it can go up to €850 a year, depending on the brand.

Then there are always options to add wildcard domains to secure X amount of subdomains etc.

I don't know if prices are country specific but a simple domain validation is cheap (in the Netherlands) and should work without any problems.

Very cool invention/idea!

I'm happy to roll this out as a test on a app already registered with AF if you want Roland. I'm very near release so this addition will time perfectly.

Sounds good @gingagaming ,
    we should have the client facing stuff for facebook-login and friends-list done by tomorrow evening.

FB-Friends-Leader-boards a day after.

I know you are burning to get your hands on the chat functionality. This is dragging a bit though due to the fact that it will run on completely different systems, but we are on it.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229

I love this!

@Hopscotch said:
    Sounds good @gingagaming ,
    we should have the client facing stuff for facebook-login and friends-list done by tomorrow evening.

FB-Friends-Leader-boards a day after.

Just give me a nudge when your ready and I'll build it in.

I know you are burning to get your hands on the chat functionality. This is dragging a bit though due to the fact that it will run on completely different systems, but we are on it.

Chat was a great addition to this app but was always a second best to FB friends. I'm very happy to wait for that over this. Both are great additions but I know the community (inc myself) will welcome the FB leaders with big welcome arms.

• aurynstaraurynstar Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2016

@Hopscotch
    This is fantastic! How is it coming along? Very keen to use this.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited December 2016

@Hopscotch

if you metioned chat system, you talk about an in game chat possibility or via the browser?

edited December 2016

@aurynstar

Functionally it is all in place, however the client facing work has been on hold. I was not happy with the response time when querying Facebook, especially when fetching the friends list. This meant more time and experimentation is needed. Due to fairly low interest in the subject, it was put on the back-burner.

Maybe I am wrong, and the forum users are just polite and don't want to clamor for it?

@BigDave

Yes, in-game chat, global, lobbies, one-to-one.

Again, the general interest seems low, yet the dedicated infrastructure for a chat system is quite hefty. As before, I may be wrong about the level if interest.

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@Hopscotch I assure you interest is huge! Having Facebook access is crucial for people and their games. The forums are just being polite since you aren't GS!

• johnnymagnejohnnymagne NorwayMember Posts: 112

I do agree - sorry for not posting positive on this topic.... I will love to see this working!

edited December 2016

@Hopscotch said:
    Due to fairly low interest in the subject, it was put on the back-burner.
    Maybe I am wrong, and the forum users are just polite and don't want to clamor for it?

Some do not follow the forum, some overlook threads, others don't even know what they need until they see others using it.

This Facebook integration is absolutely needed and great.
    In fact, everything Appformative is great and paramount to building pro and competitive games!

BTW... Why doesn't www.APPFORMATIVE.com have a sticky thread???
    Nothing you do is competing with GameSalad,
    APPFORMATIVE only enhances GS and makes it an infinitely more valuable tool.

A sticky thread helps all parties, is great synergy and brings awareness to new users and unaware ones.

So why not?

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

This Facebook integration is absolutely needed and great.
    In fact, everything Appformative is great and paramount to building pro and competitive games!

BTW... Why doesn't www.APPFORMATIVE.com have a sticky thread???
    l

Yeah that makes sense. Make it a sticky.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@blob @Toque

I agree that Appformative is a great resource for users, and refer people to the site quite often.

@Hopscotch, if you want to throw together a post I'd be happy to sticky it :)

edited December 2016

@ForumNinja said:
    @blob @Toque

I agree that Appformative is a great resource for users, and refer people to the site quite often.

@Hopscotch, if you want to throw together a post I'd be happy to sticky it :)

That's great @ForumNinja

Go for it @Hopscotch !!!
    I'd love to see a sticky thread with a simple yet detail description of what Appformative
    can do for us, where you would also post info like in this thread and get more visibility.
    You more than deserve it!

@Hopscotch said:
    Due to fairly low interest in the subject, it was put on the back-burner.

Yep, I feel it was just me and Roland wanting this. Even more so for personal use rather than client based! If people are genuinely interested in this, then you really should express an interest and show your hand as both Facebook and chat has been put on hold for this very reason, not enough interest. (Or not enough interest shown). This won't happen unless you ask @Hopscotch for it! It won't just turn up!

Ill say it again... This won't happen unless you ask @Hopscotch for it! It won't just turn up!