GameSalad

HTML 5 Wrapping, Gamepad support possible?

After showing our game "Get Me Outta Here" at a local comic con (tons of fun!) we had countless people ask if the game would be on steam really wanting to play it. (I had a controller version playing from my mac as that was easier to show than on a tablet or phone).
This made me do some HTML 5 testing and I was super surprised at how great the game runs on html 5, it actually runs far better than it does on Android. I think wrapping an HTML 5 game to an .exe is a viable option.
Here is the issue. I'm not sure if this is a worthwhile endeavor if the game won't be playable with a controller. At first I thought this wouldn't be possible but then I read a thread like this: forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/92359/html5-phonegap-cordova-to-add-push-notifications-native-camera-etc
and saw that it is possible to access different things through a HTML 5 Wrapper

I then found this:
https://github.com/gunsch/gamepad

I was wondering if anyone thought it would be possible to do some sort of controller button mapping in a wrapper. Like matching the buttons on a gamepad to keys on the keyboard.

@jonmulcahy @RabidParrot anyone else any thoughts? I honestly have no clue what I am reading or looking at in all this html 5 stuff. If started this project when gamesalad had promised .exe support to be coming with big hopes, I thought those hopes died, but now am looking into this. Thanks! :)

Comments

  • IceboxIcebox Posts: 1,360Member, PRO

    Im glad html5 is working good for you , I hope they do support that soon html5 needs love. @adent42 Is this possible anytime soon ?

  • ToqueToque Posts: 862Member, PRO

    Showing at comi con sounds like great fun.

  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,366Member, Sous Chef, PRO

    I don't know. I think I looked at it last winter, but never went anywhere. Can't hurt to try!

  • RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Posts: 648Member, PRO

    @Toque said:
    Showing at comi con sounds like great fun.

    It was! Just posted about forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/91657/rossmanbros-next-game-wip-get-me-outta-here#latest

    @jonmulcahy said:
    I don't know. I think I looked at it last winter, but never went anywhere. Can't hurt to try!

    Well after playing around for a while I think I am no closer to understanding whats going on, haha. Come on Gamesalad! @ForumNinja @adent42 , EXE support is long over due!

  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Posts: 10,366Member, Sous Chef, PRO

    @RossmanBrothersGames said:

    @Toque said:
    Showing at comi con sounds like great fun.

    It was! Just posted about forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/91657/rossmanbros-next-game-wip-get-me-outta-here#latest

    @jonmulcahy said:
    I don't know. I think I looked at it last winter, but never went anywhere. Can't hurt to try!

    Well after playing around for a while I think I am no closer to understanding whats going on, haha. Come on Gamesalad! @ForumNinja @adent42 , EXE support is long over due!

    Sad thing is, they had a prototype working a year ago

  • RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Posts: 648Member, PRO

    @jonmulcahy said:

    Sad thing is, they had a prototype working a year ago

    I know! I really don't get it. @codewizard had said that the windows creator was native and that a lot of the work was done. It is a shame to abandon so much great work. It really baffles me, Gamesalad seems to often have things like 80 precent complete that they don't finish. These things would make them a much more competitive product. If they supported EXE and people started putting cool stuff out on steam that would attract a ton of people. Most people who want to make games are pc gamers, not mobile gamers.

  • JapsterJapster Posts: 303Member, PRO
    edited November 2016

    @RossmanBrothersGames said:

    @jonmulcahy said:

    Sad thing is, they had a prototype working a year ago

    I know! I really don't get it. @codewizard had said that the windows creator was native and that a lot of the work was done. It is a shame to abandon so much great work. It really baffles me, Gamesalad seems to often have things like 80 precent complete that they don't finish. These things would make them a much more competitive product. If they supported EXE and people started putting cool stuff out on steam that would attract a ton of people. Most people who want to make games are pc gamers, not mobile gamers.

    Exactly! - I think the mobile market is absolutely saturated... :frowning: Sure, you can get 'lucky', as in 'lottery winning chance' lucky, but Windows is what I would ideally want as my primary platform - PC games, to break into Steam, etc - really blinkered to still not have it as an option, and would benefit both GS and ourselves.....

    A few of my ideas are quite in-depth, with PC levels of control input required, and would really benefit from being played on a console or PC, as opposed to touch screen controls, and there aren't that big a ratio of mobile users who use keyboards and/or joypads with their devices... :frowning:

  • imGuaimGua Posts: 1,088Member
  • BlackCloakBlackCloak Posts: 12Member
    edited March 29

    You might get it to work if you wrote some javascript that created javascript keyboard events when the joystick was pressed ( the newer html 5 spec supports joysticks in javascript). Gamesalad could then process the keyboard events

    Update:
    Looked up how to simulate keyboard press in jqury and it is possible. So the solution above should work.

  • AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Posts: 804Member, PRO

    @BlackCloak said:
    You might get it to work if you wrote some javascript that created javascript keyboard events when the joystick was pressed ( the newer html 5 spec supports joysticks in javascript). Gamesalad could then process the keyboard events

    Update:
    Looked up how to simulate keyboard press in jqury and it is possible. So the solution above should work.

    Very interesting stuff.

    Follow us: Twitter - Website

  • RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Posts: 648Member, PRO

    @BlackCloak said:
    You might get it to work if you wrote some javascript that created javascript keyboard events when the joystick was pressed ( the newer html 5 spec supports joysticks in javascript). Gamesalad could then process the keyboard events

    Update:
    Looked up how to simulate keyboard press in jqury and it is possible. So the solution above should work.

    Cool, not sure if I would be able to figure it out, but at least if I try I know that it may be possible, thanks!

Sign In or Register to comment.