Are Android performance issues still prevelant?

2»

Comments

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@Hopscotch - These are great points mate, and really appreciate the advice/input, as yep, I've always found Android devices clog up memory quickly, and other apps running kill performance (it's why I added similar advice on my Catflap store page), but in my situation, I'm already doing this! :frowning:

However, for me, this is definitely NOT the issue... :frowning: ...I have also installed a memory cleaner /recovery util and process killer years ago, and I run these to set my phone to a 'cleaner than boot' state whenever I test performance issues, so I know that I'm already running my phone at it's most optimised, 'better than a user device will ever be in' state, which really doesn't bode well for my latest game...

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited November 2016

Too late, lines have been drawn! :D

@Icebox said:
    I couldnt find the issue except with galaxy s4 (in my case)

@Japster said:
    However, for me, this is definitely NOT the issue...

First off, what follows does not imply that you should not demand that GS looks at issues plaguing us "serious" developers, or get away with taking such a dismissive stance towards its loyal and paying developers.

That said, I do believe a lot of the Android issues also stem from unrealistic expectations. If compared side by side, Android just isn't as smooth as iOS. This has many reasons, Android's sloppy memory management, resource heavy environment, etc., just makes it perform much worse than iOS on a "comparable" device.

When it comes to games, it is a fact that an iPhone 6 with dual core 1400MHz and half the GPU memory, will vastly outperform a Galaxy S5 with quad core 2500MHz. iPhone 6 even beats the Galaxy S6 with an eight core chip and 3 times the RAM.

Just like my 2012 iPad3 kills my 2014 Galaxy Tab 3 on any game, GS or otherwise. Do these tests yourselves with other apps. "Portals Master" or "Paper Wings", both non-GS, are current good examples, showing the same kind of stutter and slowness we lament in GS Android games.

Yes, GS should do a lot to optimize both Android and iOS performance, but we as developers need to know that if our game "works", it does not mean that it is "done". That is when the testing and endless tweaking starts. In any engine.