Designing a "Bridge" of sorts.

Kevinw026Kevinw026 Member, BASIC Posts: 30

Ok So I am working on a pinball game, its coming together rather nicely so far, I have a ton of ideas that I am finding ways around limits of Gamesalad maker. All game makers have their own limits. My current issue is as followed:
I want to make a "ramp" of sorts, you know the wired thing that goes over the pinball board if you hit the ball up the ramp of it. I need this to act as a bridge of sorts. Ball can travel under this as it will originally be on a higher be via the ramp. Once accessed the ramp then you travel on top of the layer with its restrictions(collide points where the ball basically stays on track).

From small testing in a similar settings I have done this. I made a boolean to basically act as true/false of course
-if player collides with(ramp access point) then the top most layer/actor(dummy actor of the 2 or the one visible while your under the layer) alpha is set to 0, so there for you appear on top of the layer, even though it is a copy of the same thing, its actually a different actor....My biggest issue with testing is the collision points. I am able to do custom collision points and all that, but im very new to gamesalad and is there away to remove the collision points of one actor while boolean is true and bring in the points for the 2nd actor.....If i have 2 actors of this "bridge" the bottom one wouldnt really need any collison points besides at the ramp area(only access) but the top part will need "rails". but i cant just put that down because even though the top most layer would have all those collision points, the ball will still run into those points.

Sorry if this is dragged out longer than it is, i have a tendency of over explaining and sometimes still not getting the exact point across so please help me on this and if any questions of course ask, thank you so much!

Comments

• Kevinw026Kevinw026 Member, BASIC Posts: 30
    edited November 2016

-NOT SURE HOW TO DELETE THIS....I realize I should have edited this one with my comment after this, didn't mean to spam If this comment could please be deleted, thanks!

Ok so I may of come up with a solution on my own to my first issue, the collision it was about 100x easier than i was making it out to be, basically copied a platform way....player us under platform can jump through, but if hes about then he bumps on the platform. So I did this with the Boolean of "activate collision" game starts player can go under the actor without issue, when i step on my trigger block to make boolean true, it activates the collison, then allowing me to bounce off.

I can adjust this to my needs by making at the ramp entrance a invisible block that turns this on, thus turning on the collision points.

Im still confused on the whole layering isssue, if i have this active boolean that when on i collide with it, would i need to do 2 actors of same bridge, when not active, can only see the bottom(no collision) when active the top layer actor appears with it's bump off actor triggered. think im answering my own questions with just writing it out lol

• Kevinw026Kevinw026 Member, BASIC Posts: 30
    edited November 2016

==NEW NOT SOLVED == Something else actually came up that I didn't think about, is there that only while the ball is traveling along the wire bridge that a shadow is casted on the ground floor level?

==SOLVED==
    Ok, so I believe I have figured this out on my own.
    Made 2 copies of actor.
    On bottom one it has almost no collision points.
    Top Actor has rails so needs trigger points. Also this is invisible to start because the ball needs to go under this(over the bottom actor/layer).
    I step on the access point(ramp entrance) it activates boolean.
    When Boolean is true, the top actor/layer comes into affect causing collision and making visible, thus making the ball appear above this layer/actor).

Then I would simply backtrack my steps to reverse this, but I think i will have a drop off point that resets original so i dont go back down ramp and activate it again.

Hope this helps someone else that may run into a similar situation, I am not sure how to mark this as answered, I haven't 100% tested this but my initial tests it has worked how i described.