State of GameSalad on 12-1-2016

123457»

Comments

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Hypnorabbit You're on the list now as well.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

Likewise, if possible please @ForumNinja !

• AdrenalineAdrenaline Member Posts: 523

I figured I lack the community stature to participate in this, but it can't hurt to throw my name into the ring as well. Me too, please!

@Japster Done and done!

@Adrenaline The more experienced GameSalad users looking at it the better. I've added your name too :)

• BenSawyerBenSawyer Member, PRO Posts: 37

o/ hand up for list @ForumNinja

• ValanValan Member, BASIC Posts: 410

I'd love to be a part of this too, if possible @ForumNinja

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@ForumNinja

Can I get on that list.

@BenSawyer @Valan @BBEnk Done, done, and done.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited January 2017

@ForumNinja

Will we be able to send mac Creator projects to the HTML Tool?

If so, How will this work?

I guess the early versions of the HTML Tool will lack features to offer full compatibility, but is this something that will be implemented down the line, as the HTML Tool catches up with GS creator and ultimately replaces it.

There hasn't been much talk about this, But some like and need to plan ahead

Thanks Ninja

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Wow. I just popped in to see what been going on with GS. I see that my suspicion about the education leap was true. I'm so glad I walked away when I did. All the never full filled temptations to keep us here, keeping the flow of our money to them. Just to be let down at every turn. I saw it coming. I am so glad I walked away almost a year ago. So? Who's the next best step in game design? It's not GS anymore.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

@FINNBOGG said:
    Wow. I just popped in to see what been going on with GS. I see that my suspicion about the education leap was true. I'm so glad I walked away when I did. All the never full filled temptations to keep us here, keeping the flow of our money to them. Just to be let down at every turn. I saw it coming. I am so glad I walked away almost a year ago. So? Who's the next best step in game design? It's not GS anymore.

I am actually happy they made the jump to education. It was what they needed to do in order to survive. And...if I can't use GameSalad anymore because they went under...Eek! I couldn't handle it! I'm super excited about the new web tool that they're working on. I think it's going to be great and I look forward to using GameSalad for years to come.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

The native engine will remain as it is so it wont affect the performance and html5 games will improve since it will be the main preview for gamesalad which is amazing . I want to release html5 games in newgrounds and kongrenate to get more exposure. With this new push things might get better. I thought it would be bad but it might actually be better.

• rjkrjk Member, PRO Posts: 1

@ForumNinja said: .....

My first post. I've read through the thread and want to understand some things.

1. Will GameSalad, in whatever form it takes, continue to be able to publish iPhone/Android/Mac native apps ?

2. Will GameSalad still be able to export standalone HTML5 apps ?

Will the workflow be similar, or will it change completely ?

If I can get in on the beta access to the web based creator please add me.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@ForumNinja said:
    @BenSawyer @Valan @BBEnk Done, done, and done.

if still it is possible,

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Offers of human sacrifice unnecessary. >:)

Just keep up Pro Membership tributes. :D

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Hoping for a Android performance boost real soon, need it before i can release my newest game :s

edited January 2017

@rjk said:
    1. Will GameSalad, in whatever form it takes, continue to be able to publish iPhone/Android/Mac native apps ?
    2. Will GameSalad still be able to export standalone HTML5 apps ?

Will the workflow be similar, or will it change completely ?

The workflow will be similar, but with different aspects of it improved. Publishing to all our currently supported platforms will still be possible :) I added you to the list.

@unbeatenpixel Added you as well!

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited January 2017

@ForumNinja Is the web creator developed with touch interfaces in mind?

So e.g. will it be possible to create GameSalad games on an iPad?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@Hoodloc for speed of development, not at first launch, but the UI widgets we are using are built for touch, so we're hoping to get touch / tablet support soon after launch.

• birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    edited January 2017

This would add incredible value from my point of view. Being able to continue your work while not at home or while relaxing on the couch sounds great. No idea about the educational sector but even there this could be a plus.

Cheers!

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

For both. For education, this gives us entry into iPad only schools as well as makes things better for touch based Chromebooks. For our devs, this gets use closer to the dream of 'game dev on the toilet' ( note, not how I would personally put it, but it's been said before :) )

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@adent42 said:
    For our devs, this gets use closer to the dream of 'game dev on the toilet' ( note, not how I would personally put it, but it's been said before :) )

That will do wonders for my productivity. That's the only time I allocate to checking the Forum.

I'll put a sign on the door, "Knock before entering, GameSalad in progress." :D

edited January 2017

@blob said:
    @ForumNinja

Will we be able to send mac Creator projects to the HTML Tool?
    If so, How will this work?

I guess the early versions of the HTML Tool will lack features to offer full compatibility, but is this something that will be implemented down the line, as the HTML Tool catches up with GS creator and ultimately replaces it.

There hasn't been much talk about this, But some like and need to plan ahead

Can we expect any export compatibility from the creator to the HTML tool??

Thanks Ninja

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

@ForumNinja can I get on this list to test please? I'm actually an ex game tester for Sony PlayStation Europe! With 10 years experience :)

@blob. Yes, you will be able to send your desktop creator products to the web tool.

We're still thinking through the experience, but my favorite idea right now would be to have it load projects from your publishing portfolio.

You'd have a button in your portfolio on each game to "edit". The server would unzip the game project and load it on a game editing server so you could work with it in a browser.

Every time you "Saved", it could convert the game back to XML, zip it up, and save a copy. This would allow you to download the zip file and edit with your desktop version of GameSalad later.

The version we're releasing this Spring is going to be geared towards education with a subset of behaviors and only work online. At the speed we're going, I'm hoping to have something approaching the full version by the winter. That version will likely be online only too, but will have all the functionality of the full tool.

Once that's done, we'll start work writing a backend that would allow us to run the tool inside a desktop wrapper and save files locally (something that both you guys as developer and some schools want).

We've got about 20 behaviors done right now (minus the expression editor and attribute selector common to most of our behaviors).

The goal is to get 10 more behaviors done and then work on the expression editor. I'd like to make some significant improvements on the expression editor... we'll keep you all posted!

If nobody minds, I'm going to sink this conversation at the end of the week and start a HTML5 Creator FAQ thread instead that summarizes the information from this one.

• RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272

@ForumNinja said:
    @jamie_c Sure! I'll make a list of any additional long time users that are interested (you included) and when we have the version to send out for feedback I'll send it to that list as well :)

count me please

edited January 2017

@adent42 said:
    @blob. Yes, you will be able to send your desktop creator products to the web tool.

That's the best info I've heard in while.
    It's going to make many of us excited about starting bigger projects again without feeling like we're running into a wall eventually.

Every time you "Saved", it could convert the game back to XML, zip it up, and save a >copy. This would allow you to download the zip file and edit with your desktop version >of GameSalad later.

That's golden! I was going to write a "rebel pamphlet" :o on the pitfalls, issues and ethical problems that not being able to do just would bring...
    You just prevented another uprising ahaha :p

Once that's done, we'll start work writing a backend that would allow us to run the tool >inside a desktop wrapper and save files locally (something that both you guys as >developer and some schools want).

Understood, so good to know, this is a relief

@adent42 thanks for the detailed and comprehensive answer. :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@adent42 said:
    The goal is to get 10 more behaviors done and then work on the expression editor. I'd like to make some significant improvements on the expression editor... we'll keep you all posted!

This is very exciting! There's so much scope for improvement with the expression editor!

@Armelline said: This is very exciting! There's so much scope for improvement with the expression editor!

No kidding!

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

iOS 10.3 introduces a new way to ask customers to provide App Store ratings and reviews for your app. Using the SKStoreReviewController API, you can ask users to rate or review your app while they're using it, without sending them to the App Store. You determine the points in the user experience at which it makes sense to call the API and the system takes care of the rest.

Can Gamesallad take advantage of this?

@ForumNinja @adent42

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze