Is it possible to make an actor "place a building"

Kevinw026Kevinw026 Member, BASIC Posts: 30
edited December 2016 in Working with GS (PC)

I have a really cool game idea in mind but i'm worried GS wont be able to allow me to make this how I am hoping for. The biggest concern off the top is a crafting system. I understand the amount of detail that would need to go into it, i am just hoping for a basic crafting system nothing complex. I have an idea of how I could possibly set it up but to the real question.

Can I have button that i can "touch" it opens up a menu, that has available "buildings"(basically actors that are pre-made). I then select which building(actor) i want and i can drag and drop it somewhere, and then that actor gets placed or in this instance, built.

Basically, in my invetory I have campfire, i drag campfire onto main screen playing area, drop it, i then have a permanent campfire i can use to perform different actions

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited December 2016

Sure you can @Kevinw026

Just open the build menu by moving the "Building" actors into view or spawning them when needed. Once touched, spawn the appropriate "building" on the playing area and hide then build menu again.

Learn the basics of only selecting the top most actor (video below) and it will give you a good start on how to approach it.

The following post/project will also give you an idea how to select and spawn. It deals with an inventory system, but a build menu can be similar.

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/571913/#Comment_571913

Here the video:

• Kevinw026Kevinw026 Member, BASIC Posts: 30

I guess the best way to get what im trying to say is basically a tower defense game...how you have a select amount of towers that need resources to place. Once you have enough resources you are able to drag it onto the playing field, then making it operational/interactive. currently I have a button at top right, i click it, i have a box appear on screen via (change color alpha to 1) is this the best way to open my invt. I dont wanna do the pause method because i want the build menu to be live with the game action

thanks for the vids @Hopscotch, im a bit confused about that invt one with tables, i need to go over it some more, but i have watched that other vid a few times def helpful!