Help improving my top down view (angles, physics)?

goonergooner Lancaster, PAMember Posts: 135

I currently have a baseball game that is almost finished but I don't like the current view. It is top down, exactly above the actors (no angle). I would like to change up some of the graphics to get a better top down angle/view from behind the batter.

A great example of this perspective using GS that I know is @skott Super Street Striker (SSS).

1) I noticed a shadow under the ball in SSS and baseball games that use this view (NES baseball), is there anything special needed for the ball shadow?

2) i am using the built in physics for hitting ... if i use this angle the bat will not be viewed from above, should I shorten the bat as it swings to simulate the angle? any other suggestions here? is using the built in physics still the best option with preferred view?

3) the most intimidating for me is a ball after it is hit ... right now it travels straight up the screen with the overhead view ... is there anything I need to do other than a shadow to show height and angles? would i need any friction or curve in the path of the ball (or am I overthinking this part?)

I am definitely overwhelmed at the moment trying to perfect this view (due to lack of experience and/or over complicating things). Any advice is well appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

I am designing one of these 2.5d kinda top down view games. It's a bit tricky. SSS That you were talking about uses shadows and the player images are angle views.

For SSS I think it's actually part of the ball image as it doesn't look like it changes. Very simple there. It could be a constrained shadow but I'm not sure why you need that.

For baseball I could see a pop fly or hit you would not use a shadow with the ball once it's hit. Only for the pitching or when ball is close to ground.

You would have to see the ball angle to see if it looks right. Hard to say there.

• goonergooner Lancaster, PAMember Posts: 135

thanks for reply @Toque

Like you said, I'm just going to have to try a few things and see if works/looks right.