Creating an A button like classic RPGs...

matiasalbericomatiasalberico Member, PRO Posts: 2
edited December 2016 in Working with GS (Mac)

Ok, just started Gamesalad a couple days ago and am amazed with how quickly you can develop an awesome game with pretty much no coding!

Anyway my question is: how can I create an A button like this guys RPG: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/87116/my-upcoming-rpg-game/p1

If you notice in the lower right he has a button just like a gameboy etc that recognizes NPCs, Signs, doors, etc.

I know how to make buttons but how do I make it so the A button recognizes other actors when my main player (actor) is in front of one of the actors. On top of that, how can i make it universal (for lack of a better word...how can I make it so the A button will know the difference between an NPC, signpost, door, attack etc. just by pressing A) Also how will the A button know my player is in front of one of these things?

Thank you for anyone who can help me out. Super impressed with Gamesalad!

Answers

• matthewthomasbaxmanmatthewthomasbaxman Member, PRO Posts: 7

I'm confused but I think you can make a rule such as ... when character collides with door change attribute to 1 and when character collides with enemy change attribute to 2. I hope that answers your question.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited December 2016

It looks to me like the only thing that button does in the video is to advance the text. I believe the main character actor is colliding with invisible actors to determine when to begin displaying the text, or starting combat, or loading a new scene.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• matiasalbericomatiasalberico Member, PRO Posts: 2

Ohh I see. So simple yet powerful. Thank you!