Whats going to happen in the future with Gamesalad?...

digitalzerodigitalzero Member, BASIC Posts: 639

Hey there you all! So, yesterday night I was reading the forum from the update 12-1-16 and I seen a lot of complaints... some about things i vaguely understand and some that I dont understand one bit. So I'll try to ask these questions as simple as possible because some of the terms that I was reading yesterday looked a lot like mandarin chinese because I am a designer and not a programmer...

So, here goes....

1. I have been working on my game for 4 years now and I dont want to start it over if I should have to go to a different game developing company... Is there anyway to just transport it into another gaming company without having to do EVERY RULE over and all that jazz? Or maybe some type of mid translator or something (as you can see I have no idea what I'm talking about)

2. I seen that people were complaining about the focus more on the educational value of the program and I seen a lot of complaints about it... What is so bad about it... I mean I seen people saying that the mac and windows "build" (proud of myself for using context clues for that word) aren't going to be worked on for awhile but why is that wrong? Is it going to be in a box at Microcenter sold like Adobe Photoshop?

3. Lastly, the speed and rate of my game in how fast it loads and all that jazz, is that going to be the same... am I not going to see any improvements in the performance of my game. I mean my game is HUGE so it requires a lot but it runs semi smoothly on the preview on my phone and works decently well on my computer... will it get worse? Is that pretty reliable when it comes to how its previewed on my phone or should i be more worried?

Idk I'm just worried reading all I was reading yesterday.. I did read that when the web version comes together it will be easier to build both of them together.

Comments

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited December 2016
    1. I don't think there is an easy way to do this. If you use tables heavily, then yes you can transfer data that way, or if you can write a system to read gamesalad .xml, maybe. But no way to 1:1 transfer.

2. People are afraid of the education focus casuing GS to ignore developers completely. It isn't quite that way it seems, but also not far from it either. So basically features long promised will be put on hold for awhile so the web tool can be made for education. It could benefit us as developers in the long run, so we'll see how it all pans out. @adent42 made some posts that help clarify what will likely happen over the next 6-8 months.

3. Ad hoc is the best way to determine actual performance, with the mobile previewer on device a close second. So you're probably OK to not worry if it seems fine now.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

The focus on the educational market may not affect you at all or it may impact everything you do with GameSalad. It's hard to know. An example would be that if you use In-App Purchases, that's something that as a teacher I have no interest in having students use. It's fine if it's part of the tool but also fine (and maybe better) if it's not there to distract them. So let's say GameSalad stops supporting In-App Purchases. How does that affect you? Only you know...

By the way, I picked that feature pretty much at random... I don't have any insights about which direction GameSalad is moving.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@digitalzero in truth, according to what is coming from GS, you have nothingaa to worry about if you want the features that GS already has. If you want more then you'll have to wait. Thats it. Simple

• diogoredindiogoredin Member Posts: 50

Open source it! :smile:

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@diogoredin said:
    Open source it! :smile:

If you'd like that, vote on the Poll about open source in this thread: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/93470/vote-for-gamesalad-to-become-open-source#latest

• digitalzerodigitalzero Member, BASIC Posts: 639

What does open source mean? @diogoredin. And thanks so much everyone for the replies

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@digitalzero said:
    What does open source mean? @diogoredin. And thanks so much everyone for the replies

You should just read the message from the link Phillip posted.