does game salad need a a superb graphics card?

allc1865allc1865 Member, PRO Posts: 777

I upgraded to a macbook pro retina and photoshop says my the graphics card won't cut it for some of the features in that program. So I wondered, is that or will it ever be the case for GameSalad?

thanks

Answers

• johnnymagnejohnnymagne NorwayMember Posts: 112

no

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited December 2016

@allc1865 Adobe don't know what they are talking about. Our 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro handles Photoshop just fine! So does my partner's new 2016 MBP.

BTW GameSalad works fine on a 2009 24" iMac Core 2Duo running OS El Capitan 10.11!

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

Yep, I use Photoshop on my old Mac Pro 3.1, 2008 - it runs absolutely fine - TBH, the single biggest improvement I got using it, was to upgrade to an SSD years ago (memory also helps if you're not running a lot of that, but it already had 32GB).... that, and dev in GS, instantly went from being a bit slow, to WHOOOOSH....

However, my Mac Pro PSU has died - capacitor issues I guess, known issue of them just dying/clicking off immediately.... ....and so, I have to say, on my old 2.1 Mac Pro, with the older GFX card, previewing a game in GS is now chugging, whereas before it was silky smooth... :frowning: I'm currently running an older Radeon 5770, instead of my R290X or GTX 580....

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@Japster said:
    Yep, I use Photoshop on my old Mac Pro 3.1, 2008 - it runs absolutely fine - TBH, the single biggest improvement I got using it, was to upgrade to an SSD years ago (memory also helps if you're not running a lot of that, but it already had 32GB).... that, and dev in GS,
    @Japster said:
    Yep, I use Photoshop on my old Mac Pro 3.1, 2008 - it runs absolutely fine - TBH, the single biggest improvement I got using it, was to upgrade to an SSD years ago.

Changing SSD on my older MacBook helped a lot. It only has 8 Megs of ram........

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I think Adobes warnings about graphics cards are there because of Photoshops support of 3D. If you don't use 3D in Photoshop you're graphics card probably won't be an issue.

• allc1865allc1865 Member, PRO Posts: 777

thanks everyone for your answers