Game controls

Hey Guys,

I am setting up some new controls for my Mario type endless runner game. I have the left side set up as Button A and the right side set up as Button B. I would also like to add in a swipe to shoot option. Is it possible to have the swipe to shoot overlaying the button A and B without triggering those buttons. If this is possible what would be the best way to do it, if now what are some other options. See image for visuals
Thanks

Comments

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

I would make three large actors covering the areas with rules to do what you like.

So B button is down?

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187
    edited December 2016

Is shoot directional according to direction of swipe??

I would assume overlapping buttons would trigger both unless you delay Button A to check for swipe first. I'm on holidays. Can't send demo.

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

@Toque said:
    I would make three large actors covering the areas with rules to do what you like.

So B button is down?

A is flip upside-down, B is jump. Ship to shoot is not directional.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@quinn221 said:
    Is it possible to have the swipe to shoot overlaying the button A and B without triggering those buttons

You can do it, but it would necessarily involve a couple of compromises, for example there would need to be a small amount of latency on the A and B buttons.

Example attached.

• quinn221quinn221 Member Posts: 280

@Socks said:
    Example attached.

YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!

• ZulfikarZulfikar Member, PRO Posts: 11

I'm new to GameSalad and planning to do same kind of game controls, basically divide the screen in half with two actors. The problem that I have is how do you change the attributes of another actor via another one? For example if control actor A is touched accelerate character actor B.

@Zulfikar said:
    I'm new to GameSalad and planning to do same kind of game controls, basically divide the screen in half with two actors. The problem that I have is how do you change the attributes of another actor via another one? For example if control actor A is touched accelerate character actor B.

You can use a game attribute, let's call it GO! and make it a Boolean attribute.

Rule for A: If actor A is touched change GO! to true.
    Rule for B: If GO! is true, then accelerate.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@zulfikar, if you need a tutorial for that kind of thing I've linked one below. This tutorial uses arrow graphics for the buttons, but you can use any image, placed anywhere with this same technique.

• ZulfikarZulfikar Member, PRO Posts: 11

Thanks for the help, this solved my problem!