GameSalad

14000+ downloads in 1 day?

-Timo--Timo- Posts: 2,208
edited January 5 in Miscellaneous

I am not sure what's happening but I suddenly got over 14000 downloads in 1 day on 2 apps. The apps are very old and they basically got 0 downloads since I published them. the 3rd of januari it suddenly peeked to over 7000 downloads for both apps.
Just got the downloads from yesterday (4th of January) and it's back to 0 again. I guess it's a bug from apple?
anyone else experienced this or something similar?

Sorry for the clickbait :tongue:

Comments

• BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127

nice you made any money with it?

• -Timo--Timo- Posts: 2,208

@BigDave said:
    nice you made any money with it?

No unfortunately I didn't lol
    The apps are free and for some reason the ads also don't work. not even sure if I added ads correctly. the apps are more than 2 years old.

but downloads are back to 0 again for both apps which is a bit suspicious.. I think it's a bug from apple?

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Posts: 1,406

I had this last month with 2 apps, both hitting 2.5K each for 2 days in a row and dropping back down to 2 a day as before. All Coming from Asia Pacific. Was strange but nothing came of it.

210 impressions, 2 product page views and all downloads from China.

• BigDaveBigDave Posts: 2,127
    edited January 5

time to get your Chinese simplified translations in your apps.
    It is still bothering me that I never thought about translations for orcs / creepy. A lot of text was on images as we didn't had custom fonts back then.

China and Russia are big markets.

• ToqueToque Posts: 784

Hmmm. I wonder how many search impressions you had? Something driving them to the game or apple favored it to a search?

I should look for a guide on country localization.

Not sure how it can happen but it's fake for sure.
    You can never get 7000 app units when you only got 2 product page views. It even almost impossible to have more app units then product page views.

The app got only a few (less than 5) downloads and 7000 app units. Guess a few devices kept downloading and removing the apps over and over again automatically? Not sure how but looks like the start of a scam.

I wonder if you have a link that goes straight to the download page of your app. Would you still get the search product page view for each download?

Could be a glitch on apples side. I wonder if all those app units would help your app in any way?

Oh well. Keeps it interesting........

• hybridhybrid Posts: 145

few weeks ago i got an app that had almost 0 downloads a day, also a peak of 1000-2000 for 2 days from china, i didnt know what happened there, but since that i translate the description of some of my apps to what i search are the 10 top lenguages.

http://todaysweb.net/top-mobile-apps-games-localization-languages-maximum-revenue/

that's the article

How do you localize an app?

Do you make a new build with every language?

Can gamesalad detect language on phone and use attributes to change the language portions?

Thanks

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Posts: 417 GameSalad Employee

@Toque There's some device attributes you have access to in GameSalad that can give you those details yup. They're located under the list of device attributes in a tab called "platform":

These special attributes will update based on the device settings of the device currently running your project.

@ForumNinja said:

Very Cool. I am going to do this in the next game I start! I need to read apple docs. Must be different screen shots etc. for each store etc.

Thanks!

• rico240rico240 Posts: 7

Experienced a similar thing, one thing i did notice that kind of makes me think shiesty activity or if its connected....did anyone receive a message from Revmob on Dec 1st saying "Notice of Data Breach". Ive been trying to connect the two as related to each-other. I have 4000 downloads all Asia Pacific with 0 impressions all..starting mid December.

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Posts: 614
    edited January 6

Perhaps another region of China is being served?
    Perhaps another cellphone carrier in China started operations?
    Perhaps another cellphone carrier in China added the iPhone to their lineup?

I saw a modest bump in downloads of Mailroom Mayhem. I would've guessed Gumball Catch, which historically surpassed Mayhem, would see the most donwloads, but that was not the case. BTW, Mailroom Mayhem is my first app, released on 12/31/2014. Go figure.

• http_gamesaladhttp_gamesalad Posts: 1,339

@-Timo- its so odd because I have experienced jumps out of nowhere from dormant apps. Like my apps will get a steady 3 downloads per day then boom out no where I get 500 or 1,000 downloads in one day and then the next it falls right back to 3 downloads.