Can you make folders for different Actor types?

I want to be able to make different folders for characters, collectibles, enemies, and so on in my Actor tab to keep things organized. It seems like it should be a very basic functionality but I see no way to do this, and once you have say 20 objects the Actor tab will become very messy and waste a lot of time looking around in the jumble to find what you need. I'm brand new to Game Salad so maybe I am just not seeing the option right under my nose? :) Thanks!

Nate

Comments

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187
    edited January 2017

Sorry no folders or search option. A long requested feature. Maybe in the next major release ???

Yes. 20 actors....... I've had 300 actors. Scrolling and searching is a pain!!

Welcome

• buijonbuijon Member Posts: 12

Well that's disappointing but hopeful? Is there somewhere I can contribute to the requesting of such features? The reason I'm using GameSalad is because my brain works more on the conceptual lever rather than straight coding so it's almost perfect aside being very messy in this regard. I have Unity, but coding and myself just aren't friends, never have been haha

@buijon said:
    Well that's disappointing but hopeful? Is there somewhere I can contribute to the requesting of such features? The reason I'm using GameSalad is because my brain works more on the conceptual lever rather than straight coding so it's almost perfect aside being very messy in this regard. I have Unity, but coding and myself just aren't friends, never have been haha

Yes that is universal. We love gamesalad. It lacks some basic UI features. A few like zooming we are told are coming this year......

You are welcome to post your desired features. There is a feature request/bug reporting system. I've never bothered so not exactly sure of link. (On my phone)

Folders and actor search have been mentioned a hundred times over many years.

But never hurts to ask!!

Have fun making games.

I'll find it on my next game making day, thanks for the heads up.

Any chance if you know if you can make Actors global versus local? And also if you can have it display the Actor names in the right hand game view when you click on them? Any time you make an Actor hidden they are hard to find again and then it just highlights a box with no detail of what it is if it doesn't have a sprite. Thanks again for your prompt replies!

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

You can do this

edited January 2017

I think GS calls this unlocking. It separates an actor on a scene from its parent actor.

You can have global attributes. Or you can have actor only attributes.

In inspector. Click scene
    Click layers.
    Click the side arrow.

Will show all actors in that scene.

A trick I use for actors that are invisible. The alpha is set zero.

These actors I leave alpha to 1.
    The first rule in that actor
    Change attribute self alpha to 0

This helps you can see it when editing but when you play scene it's still invisible.

Here is a video . Unlocking actor.
    Showing where list for a scene actors is.

A trick for have invisible actors but visible so you can easily see them in editing.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvymv090dvc6778/Screen Record 2017-01-13 at 22.04.16.mov?dl=0

@Icebox said:
    You can do this

Thanks icebox I forgot to mention that!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2017

@Icebox said:
    You can do this
    Armelline's video.

@Icebox Thanks, I didn't know that. Thanks @Armelline ... and I thought I knew where to find just about anything in GS?

Whoops! I should have kept reading the thread. @Toque I didn't know your Alpha trick either!

How come I ever got awarded a "Keeper of Knowledge" badge! :D

You learn something new around here every day.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

You can use tags to sort actors and use the drop down menu below the actors window to show only actors by tag.

Thank you for these early on lessons, extremely helpful! I'm liking GS so far, having a good support community is huge as well, much appreciated guys!

@Icebox said:
    You can do this

Is there a way to apply this technique to imported art etc? Or is it only a function for Actors?

@buijon said:

@Icebox said:
    You can do this

Is there a way to apply this technique to imported art etc? Or is it only a function for Actors?

Tags are only for actors.

We are glad you are trying GS. It's fantastic.
    We like to gripe about small things but it's great overall.

Have fun.

edited January 2017

I don't think that having a way of properly organizing all of your assets is a small gripe, it's essential especially when working with more than one person making a game haha But so far so good with what is possible. Baby steps :)