Data Usage, what may cause my game to be using a lot?

2»

Comments

• RossmanBrothersGamesRossmanBrothersGames Member Posts: 659

@Hopscotch said:
    @adent42 any news on this?

I haven't heard back yet if they found anything

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Haven't taken a look yet. I'm gonna take a look on Friday if I don't find time before then.

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390

Dodgy name but you may also find this good for seeing what's going on, its free as well;

http://www.telerik.com/fiddler

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

I ran the app through Charles and found about 17MB of downloads. It seems they are downloading and caching ads for later (so that you can show an ad with a low or bad internet connection). That's just a first look. You might want to try a build without chartboost and see if that helps with data. I'm checking the SDK next to see if any release notes address this issue, and the level of effort required to update.

We use library 6.6.0, subsequent updates don't seem to have data usage issues. I'm gonna leave the app running a bit longer to see if anything else pops up.

So I'm not seeing any unusual data usage. I did find that our metrics servers needed a kick as it was slow to respond. That could have caused extra calls to the metrics server for retries, but that wasn't a significant amount of traffic. The only other source of traffic is calls for Game Center, but those were pretty small as well. I'll take another look later today, but for now, I'm inclined to lay this on Chartboost. We'll look at options moving forward, but I don't see quick fix other than disabling caching which will lower your fill rate.

• twayne1twayne1 Member Posts: 43

did you guys ever figure this out? because if I am going to publish a game soon I don't particularly want this kind of problem. btw what is chartboost?

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@twayne1 said:
    did you guys ever figure this out? because if I am going to publish a game soon I don't particularly want this kind of problem. btw what is chartboost?

If you don't know then it's not going to be an issue. Its an ad company. That's how you place ads in your game.

• nazgtinazgti Member Posts: 4

@Hopscotch said:
    @RossmanBrothersGames

are you showing video ads? Still, 200mb in 10minutes is hardly possible even it was continuous video ads. Something else must be going on. It is all way, way too much.

If you are testing on iOS only you will need to do it differently as iOS does not report exactly what the device connects to. But do the following:

Install some network traffic monitor on your Mac.
    Connect your iOS device to the internet via Wifi.
    Set the network traffic monitoring software to report the activity of your iOS device.

I can't give you a recommendation on a good network traffic monitor, since I use ParrotSecOS and Kali on a RaspberryPi for this.

Nice tut. This works for me. Thanks.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

I've tested this issue on my upcoming game, I repeated the test four times, each time the game(actually chartboost) used the same amount of data(almost).

5min= 26mb /30min= 40mb /2hours= 57mb

These values are normal for video ads.

So, 200mb in 10 minutes is too much. I have no idea what caused the problem, unfortunately.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze