3d printed video game characters?

ericleclairericleclair Member Posts: 10

If this is for real, then I’m totally psyched to try it out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/2015/08/19/custom-3d-printed-video-game-figurines-from-smite-world-of-tanks-infinity-blade-in-amazon-3d-store/

Apparently, now you can 3d print your own video game characters?

All you have to do is upload the design of your choice to a 3D printer, and out pops a custom figure.

These files seem to be available all over the internet as well, like this figure of Alyx:

https://pinshape.com/items/22029-3d-printed-alyx-half-life-2

Has anyone ever heard about or tried this technology themselves? I would love to print out Sonic the Hedgehog or that cute little dog from the old school Nintendo shooting game. Sorry I'm old school :)

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited March 2017

"Apparently, now you can 3d print your own video game characters?"

What has changed ? 3D printing has been around for a while, it's long been a mature technology, why should the fact that you can print out video game characters (or fruit models, or bicycle parts or jewellery . . . etc) be a surprise ?

Weird !? :D

We may as well say - after desktop printing has existed for decades . . .

"Apparently, now you can print your own images of video game characters?"

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

I just realized I can use Wi-Fi to upload GameSalad game characters to the Publishing Portal! I was always connecting my computer by Ethernet cable to do this...even got an expensive dongle for it... :disappointed:

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited March 2017

@Socks said:

What has changed ? 3D printing has been around for a while, it's long been a mature technology, why should the fact that you can print out video game characters (or fruit models, or bicycle parts or jewellery . . . etc) be a surprise ?

"Apparently, now you can print your own video game characters?"

@Socks what about fruit models? I'd like to print a few on my inkjet but I'm waiting for the right time.

And yes, @ericleclair You can 3D print anything that's available as a 3D model so I'd say video game characters are on limits, or whatever the opposite of off limits is.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@tatiang said:
    what about fruit models? I'd like to print a few on my inkjet but I'm waiting for the right time.

Wait until no one is around, then print yourself a large pair of coconuts.

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited March 2017

while its nothing new. .
    more and more privat persons own 3d printers and making their own prints, including game art, it can be a useful art/marketing tool if you have an audience interested in it.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

I don't know anyone who owns one but the technology is pretty cool

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

@ericleclair said:
    If this is for real, then I’m totally psyched to try it out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/2015/08/19/custom-3d-printed-video-game-figurines-from-smite-world-of-tanks-infinity-blade-in-amazon-3d-store/

Apparently, now you can 3d print your own video game characters?

You do realize the link to this article is 2 years old, right? What makes this a new development....? :D

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Hey, if anyone has 3D versions of characters from their GameSalad game, I'd be happy to try printing it!

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@adent42 said:
    Hey, if anyone has 3D versions of characters from their GameSalad game, I'd be happy to try printing it!

@kirafu

• ericleclairericleclair Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2017

@Socks said:

"Apparently, now you can print your own images of video game characters?"

Dayuuum! I feel like a fool now . . I just don't understand why these machines are still expensive if they've been around for so long? I haven't seen one single commercial for any of these 3d print machines ever. Anyways, I'm totally getting one if the pricing drops to something affordable ($100 to $300 range like for a normal computer printer).

edited April 2017

@ericleclair said:
    Anyways, I'm totally getting one if the pricing drops to something affordable ($100 to $300 range like for a normal computer printer).

There are plenty of sub-$300 printers.

https://3dforged.com/good-cheap-3d-printers/
    ( Scroll down to 'BEST 3D PRINTERS UNDER $300' )

The Anet A8 Is around $150.

http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_343643.html?currency=GBP&vip=760169&gclid=CN-6_6zkh9MCFYgW0wodvdoNSg

Thanks for the info guys. I finally decided to pull the trigger :) - Just got a Rova4D. I got for just under 3 grand Canadian (Went in halfers with my buddy). One of the handful of 3d printers we have in Canada but super excited. I'll keep you guys posted if I make a console shell or something of that nature. Cheers!

edited September 2017

Guys my first print :)

Super Mario inspired :)