GameSalad

Expired code signing certificate

tatiangtatiang Posts: 10,633Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef

It's been a while since I published anything and I'm running into common problems I've read about in the forums. Specifically, my Apple Code Signing Certification Authority has expired and I'm trying to figure out how to renew it.

Apple's instructions at https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/MaintainingCertificates/MaintainingCertificates.html and https://developer.apple.com/support/code-signing/ haven't seemed to help as I keep double-checking private keys, iOS developer and distribution validity, XCode account preferences, etc.

Is there a way to download that certificate directly? Or some way to generate it? I feel like this question is a broken record but I'm stuck.

Best Answer

Answers

• tatiangtatiang Posts: 10,633Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef

I'm using XCode 8.3.1 on OS X 10.12.4 (Sierra). I just deleted and re-downloaded XCode before this problem occurred. I had even more errors before I did that...

• ToqueToque Posts: 729Member, PRO

Isn't it fun??? It works fine until it doesn't. I've thrown things trying to get it to work.

From what I can remember is I deleted ALL the expired signing identities from Xcode. Then all the bad ones in Key chain. Then regenerated signing identities from Xcode.

The original Signing authority certificate is loaded on my computer. I've been reading here. That was three years ago.

So if you try and generate new identities in Xcode what error is it telling you?

edited April 16

Well, one problem is that the version of Xcode I'm using doesn't seem to allow me to delete certificates -- I assume that's what you mean by signing identities. I can see the certificates but that's about it. Unless I'm missing something.

So I deleted the expired certificates from Keychain Access but only those related to iOS development. Maybe I should get rid of other expired ones? Willing to try anything at this point.

If I generate new certificates in Xcode, it allows me to but creates duplicates in Keychain Access.

imagehttps://us.v-cdn.net/5017598/uploads/editor/ld/ehrajcszrz4a.png" alt="" title="" />

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Posts: 9,841Member

Everything is now handled on the developer portal. Just renew and delete things there and then hit that download all profiles. All the other certs can be deleted in keychain.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKPosts: 1,867Member

My recommendation would be to delete all of the from Keychain first, then do what @The_Gamesalad_Guru suggests. Then restart Xcode. Worked that way for me!

Thanks, guys. I've deleted all iOS certificates from Keychain Access and restarted Xcode. It had me revoke my existing certificates and then gave me an automated signing error. So... feels like progress. :#

@pHghost I appreciate the lengthy suggestion. I was about to try it but decided to give it a go on a different computer running a slightly older version of XCode and... whatdyaknow it worked!

• ArmellineArmelline Posts: 4,341Member, PRO

Certificates expire, and when they do the provisioning profiles they link to become invalid. When that happens, I log on to iTunes Connect, revoke the certificates, delete the profiles, and start again.

I also find it helps to create new user accounts specifically for Apple uploads. That way, when the certificates expire I can just trash that account, create a new one and run through the process again. I find that much easier than trying to figure out what certificates and provisioning profiles to remove from where.

Glad you got it working, though!

@Armelline said:
    I also find it helps to create new user accounts specifically for Apple uploads. That way, when the certificates expire I can just trash that account, create a new one and run through the process again. I find that much easier than trying to figure out what certificates and provisioning profiles to remove from where.

I think I might try that next time.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKPosts: 1,867Member

@Armelline said:
    I also find it helps to create new user accounts specifically for Apple uploads.

Interesting approach, not a bad idea at all!