"Game Engine" and "Other" Memory going up between scenes

jasonnowakjasonnowak Member Posts: 67
edited May 2017 in Tech Support

Hey everyone-

I've contacted GS customer support but I also want to get some input from you guys. I'm wrapping up a rather large game that is having some memory issues. I've worked very hard to eliminate or reduce images and sounds...but the RAM is filling up immensely every time I reload or go to another scene. I'm still optimizing logic but it really doesn't seem to have a big impact.

Can anyone share some tips or best practices they have to help reduce this? I'm getting some crashes on older devices and the game gets pretty slow after a handful of scenes.

Thanks!

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

What older devices are you refering to? Apple just cut off everything below a 5s for OS updates. Watch for bloated code. I prefer to use xcode instruments as it is a more accurate meter of what is going on.

• jasonnowakjasonnowak Member Posts: 67

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    What older devices are you refering to? Apple just cut off everything below a 5s for OS updates. Watch for bloated code. I prefer to use xcode instruments as it is a more accurate meter of what is going on.

I'm getting some crashes on iPhone 5 class devices but am also getting slow downs on newer devices.

I'm still optimizing my code but even reloading the existing scene or loading into an empty scene keeps the memory going up. I haven't tried Xcode instruments yet and will give it a shot. Perhaps GS viewer and Mac Creator aren't showing the accurate memory usage?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@jasonnowak said: Perhaps GS viewer and Mac Creator aren't showing the accurate memory usage?

This is true. With instruments you can record a see exactly when and where the memory spikes are. It's like doing detective work. Try turning off preload art. Switch all non moving objects to non movable and in others that have periodic movement to can sleep. If you replay a scene, try using reset scene, this should do some garbage collection.

• jasonnowakjasonnowak Member Posts: 67

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:

@jasonnowak said: Perhaps GS viewer and Mac Creator aren't showing the accurate memory usage?

This is true. With instruments you can record a see exactly when and where the memory spikes are. It's like doing detective work. Try turning off preload art. Switch all non moving objects to non movable and in others that have periodic movement to can sleep. If you replay a scene, try using reset scene, this should do some garbage collection.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will give some of those a try.