Will game record(before upload) disappear after update?

Hello everyone! I have a question about record disappear after update.

If I upload my game in google developer(Android) or app store(IOS),
Will the original game record(before upload) disappear after update?

For example: The game's best record is level 14, but will the game record disappear after update, and change level into 0.(reset all record)?

i'm afraid it will happen, so I dare not update my game in google paly and app store. :'(

Comments

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Why would it disappear? That data is on Apple's (Google's) servers, in the first place, and secondly, during the update even the local data stays up to date, unless you delete the app and reinstall it completely from scratch.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@Weiyu - I had the exact same concern early on with Gamesalad, as no easy-to-find info tells you exactly what happens with tables during an update install on a device - I did remember reading something about if your table sizes physically change / increase, it over-writes them, but if it stays the same, it won't?

Someone suggested padding your tables out with extra rows/columns, for future use, and that's working fine for me - and my games are retaining scores etc even after updating, so either it's working, or wasn't a problem... :smiley:

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited May 2017

As long as you don't modify the existing tables nothing will change during the update. If you do update you can use the add/remove row behavior to add to the table or create a new tables.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Japster said:
    Someone suggested padding your tables out with extra rows/columns, for future use

Basically, once a table is created it's 'locked.' The only way to modify it is through actions, add/remove row; load table... Other than that, it is considered as save data and will not be overwritten through an update. If you need to overwrite it, make a duplicate with all the new rows and use load table -- but beware, this will overwrite all the data in the original!

You can make a larger table than you need, but then you need to refer to rows and columns by number, not name, because again, if you change the name of a row/column in an update, it will not be changed.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@pHghost said:

@Japster said:
    Someone suggested padding your tables out with extra rows/columns, for future use

Basically, once a table is created it's 'locked.' The only way to modify it is through actions, add/remove row; load table... Other than that, it is considered as save data and will not be overwritten through an update. If you need to overwrite it, make a duplicate with all the new rows and use load table -- but beware, this will overwrite all the data in the original!

You can make a larger table than you need, but then you need to refer to rows and columns by number, not name, because again, if you change the name of a row/column in an update, it will not be changed.

This is really great - thanks for the clarification @pHghost !

So, in addition to just save game data tables, I guess Levels data etc, needs to be brought in as a 'new' source table, and used to overwrite the old one if say, adding levels to a game set? - I assumed they just came in and got overwritten anyway, but what you're saying makes complete sense - one for me to remember I think, cheers!