ilustration size in px

Hi my question is this.
its about images size in px I'am in process of finishing a game there's images in the game the artist ask me
(What size would you need the illustration at, in pixels) what should i tell him i want it to be the best size so i can do what i need
I paid for this image because of copy rights so now i want my monies worth.
He also ask if i may link him in my credits kind of unfair dont you guys think. But anyways need your opinions
Thanks

Comments

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187
    edited May 2017

Sizes of images will really depend on what the image is??? Usually I double the size it is in the actor in GS and see how it looks. Sometimes smaller if it still looks good.

Needing to credit the art work depends on the agreement you made? If he/she
    agreed on a price and credit given then thats what I would do. If he agreed on a price but no mention of credit then you are not obligated.

I can say finding a good illustrator that understands game assets at a very reasonable price is not always easy to find. If you have a good relationship and very happy with the work and price then adding a small credit to the author is really insignificant to me.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

Like @Toque says, as a general rule of thumb the images should be twice the resolution of the actor they are being applied to.

So if you have 200 x 200 pixel actor you would ideally have a 400 x 400 pixel image for it.

• articwolf65articwolf65 Member, PRO Posts: 63

ok great thank you

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@articwolf65 said:
    ok great thank you

I also agree with @Toque's approach to crediting the artist, if it's something that you didn't agree on before he did the work then you are under no obligation, but it's no big deal to list his name in the credits somewhere (if you even have credits), no one ever looks at that kind of stuff anyway - but the artist might appreciate being able to add an app to his portfolio.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@articwolf65 said:

I paid for this image because of copy rights so now i want my monies worth.

Keep in mind that if you commissioned the work, asked the artist to create it for a fee, then you own the copyright. ;)

Make it clear to the artist that even if you credit them, you retain copyright.

• articwolf65articwolf65 Member, PRO Posts: 63

ok thanks

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited May 2017

@PhilipCC said:
    Keep in mind that if you commissioned the work, asked the artist to create it for a fee, then you own the copyright. ;)

I have to disagree with you, the copyright and ownership by default stays with the creator.

This led me to post this :)

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/94899/pitfalls-in-commissioned-work-copyright-and-ownership