Evasion : Revolution is Now Available Free on iOS!

2»

Comments

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

@GSAnimator said:
    I like it :)

thanks! :) how many levels were you able to win?

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@rainwaterstudios said:
    what information about the game you're able to understand from the 'Clash of Clans' icon...

Quite a lot. There is a telling expression on the face in the icon. Gritted teeth, saliva dripping from the corners of the mouth. Frowning eyes with intense focus on something. Aggression, action. Wearing a battle helmet. And in combination with the screenshots, it's abundantly clear what you can expect from the game.

At first sight, I wouldn't even be sure if your app is a game. It could very well be an app for synchronising data with the cloud.

How are your downloads going?

@pHghost said:

@rainwaterstudios said:
    what information about the game you're able to understand from the 'Clash of Clans' icon...

Quite a lot. There is a telling expression on the face in the icon. Gritted teeth, saliva dripping from the corners of the mouth. Frowning eyes with intense focus on something. Aggression, action. Wearing a battle helmet. And in combination with the screenshots, it's abundantly clear what you can expect from the game.

'Frowning' eyes? To me it looks cross-eyed, the only thing the face would be 'intensely focusing' on would be his nose. "Wearing a battle helmet"?? I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be his hair/sideburns/eyebrows - if it is actually a helmet, I guess that means his mustache is an... upper lip protector? Lol. "in combination with the screenshots" - well of course, you can tell more info about ANY game or app when coupled with screenshots.

At first sight, I wouldn't even be sure if your app is a game. It could very well be an app for synchronising data with the cloud.

Fair enough, but as your argument for 'Clash of Clans' requires looking at the screenshots; when looking at the screenshots and icon for my app it is 'abundantly clear' that it is indeed a game.
    Looking at the CoC icon without screenshots, there is no indication whether it is a game, and judging by the face/expression it could easily be interpreted to be about...
    constipation
    anger management
    yelling
    rage
    and/or many other topics.
    The icon doesn't provide any indication of what the gameplay would be like.

@rainwaterstudios

Ah, OK, I see we have a smug joker on our hands.

Unfortunately, that doesn't add points to the design of your icon and make it any clearer to potential customers.

If you want to be serious as an app developer, I suggest you drop this attitude.

Your over-analysis of the CoC icon shows your desperation to just think you are 'right.' Sorry, but being 'right' (whatever that means in this context) does nothing to make you successful as a dev.

I know the yellow thing is his hair... but it's made to look as a (typical roman) battle helmet. Anyone just quickly glancing at the icon for the first time will think 'battle helmet' and that's why it is designed that way. Thats THE POINT. Thus why it is good design. The 'helmet' and saliva and eyes all together suggest aggression, action, battle, excitement.

Further, the cartoonish design of the character tells you that 9/10 this is probably a game, and 10/10 some kind of entertainment app. Quite spot on. With your icon, I'd probably say the app is a game with about 2/10 probability.

If you really think this could easily be interpreted as an app about constipation, anger management, etc., then you are either trying to be smug again, or have absolutely zero design understanding. You need to do something about both of those. And please do not take this as a personal attack, it is not. In all seriousness, if those listed interpretations are your actual thoughts, definitely hire a designer for future projects (do that anyway) and at least do a design course. Creating good design can be tough, but not even recognising it when you see it, that's another league. I myself am not the best of designers, but man...

P.S.

I noticed you decided not to share your download numbers. :trollface:

@pHghost said:
    @rainwaterstudios

Ah, OK, I see we have a smug joker on our hands.

Unfortunately, that doesn't add points to the design of your icon and make it any clearer to potential customers.

If you want to be serious as an app developer, I suggest you drop this attitude.

Your over-analysis of the CoC icon shows your desperation to just think you are 'right.' Sorry, but being 'right' (whatever that means in this context) does nothing to make you successful as a dev.

I know the yellow thing is his hair... but it's made to look as a (typical roman) battle helmet. Anyone just quickly glancing at the icon for the first time will think 'battle helmet' and that's why it is designed that way. Thats THE POINT. Thus why it is good design. The 'helmet' and saliva and eyes all together suggest aggression, action, battle, excitement.

Further, the cartoonish design of the character tells you that 9/10 this is probably a game, and 10/10 some kind of entertainment app. Quite spot on. With your icon, I'd probably say the app is a game with about 2/10 probability.

If you really think this could easily be interpreted as an app about constipation, anger management, etc., then you are either trying to be smug again, or have absolutely zero design understanding. You need to do something about both of those. And please do not take this as a personal attack, it is not. In all seriousness, if those listed interpretations are your actual thoughts, definitely hire a designer for future projects (do that anyway) and at least do a design course. Creating good design can be tough, but not even recognising it when you see it, that's another league. I myself am not the best of designers, but man...

P.S.

I noticed you decided not to share your download numbers. :trollface:

You've written so much here that it will take some time for me to sift through it all. I might respond when I have some free time, but for now I have too many other things to work on that take priority over responding to your hostile judgements and non-constructive criticism.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@rainwaterstudios Hi, I just got a chance to play. I like the new icon :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

+Gameplay is entertaining
    +Controls feel responsive
    +Sound FX fit well
    +BG Music is relaxing
    +Swirly level graphics are cool
    +Level Pace/Complexity feels tuned

-UI feels too loose/unorganized (prefer buttons with outlines)
    -Colors feel dull (check out color schemes, complementary, color space)

Aside from the stretching driving me a bit crazy Evasion : Revolution plays well. I would make the levels a couple drops shorter and add a completion sound to each. I like the trail of particles that follows the center spinning dot. I would add more and more particles to the other elements. I want more and brighter things happening to liven it up. I might alter direction of the falling obstacles although I might not have made it far enough into the game to see that. One last thing I noticed was on the left side of the play scene the very left most pixels (maybe two vertical columns of them) were red. I'm playing on an iPhone SE screen. That's my 2¢

Although there was a bit of drama earlier, I'm pleased to see reworked the game and took to heart the suggestions from your loving community. Always remember most of the 'mean' stuff we post to each other is conveyed with our collective success in mind. Peace :blush:

@rainwaterstudios said:
    hostile judgements and non-constructive criticism

People attempted to give you constructive criticism and help you, to which you responded by being defensive and attacking them. :|

So I though it was topical to point out that that isn't a good attitude to things.

Don't feel the need to respond to the previous thread if you don't want to. There are many more important things to do in life. Like, almost anything else. :D

Keep growing, keep learning, become better and remember the world doesn't owe you (or anyone else) anything. Keep it real and good things will happen.

And seriously, do read up on graphical design. ;)

@pHghost said:

@rainwaterstudios said:
    hostile judgements and non-constructive criticism

People attempted to give you constructive criticism and help you, to which you responded by being defensive and attacking them. :|

So I though it was topical to point out that that isn't a good attitude to things.

Don't feel the need to respond to the previous thread if you don't want to. There are many more important things to do in life. Like, almost anything else. :D

Keep growing, keep learning, become better and remember the world doesn't owe you (or anyone else) anything. Keep it real and good things will happen.

And seriously, do read up on graphical design. ;)

Although many of your remarks appear to be condescending and antagonizing, some of your comments appear to be positive and in good nature. "Keep growing, keep learning, become better" is a good principle that I aspire to live by.

@rainwaterstudios said:
    many of your remarks appear to be condescending and antagonizing

Well, I am an imperfect and fallible person, like any other bloke out there, ha. B) I sometimes get exasperated and take less time to explain than necessary for the sake of brevity and saving time and when I feel the pea bounces of the wall. And the tone of voice behind text is often very easy to misinterpret, too -- we read it with a certain expectation. Eh, such is life...