Is it possible to change music volume?

MonjiOMonjiO Member Posts: 20
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
I know that this has to be a dumb question, but I'm trying to add background music into the game and I notice that there's not a way to change its volume, unlike the sound effects. I can stop and start the music just fine, but is there a way to make it louder or softer? If not, what is its default setting relative to the scale used for SFX?

Comments

• ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    Maybe you can constrain the music or something with an actor that can determine how loud you want it, but I haven't adde any bg music into my game yet, I'm making it my last thing I do for all my games.
  • ShanestaShanesta Member Posts: 63
    The controls for music are confusing. The play music action, only has resume current music as an option. How do you actually start it? I can play it as a sound, but then it does not know it is the music.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    make sure you're using the correct file types, I think you need ogg files for music, and mp3 files for sounds. is that right? I'm not at my computer right now to check.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    There is also the audio->Volume attribute in the devices attributes. It only works for music files as only one music file can be played at a time and is consistent throughout all scenes and multiple sounds can be played at once(via Play Sound).

http://gamesalad.com/wiki/devices_reference#audio

Sound files use .ogg, music files use .m4a, .aac

To unpause just use the play music behavior again with the "Resume Current Music" value selected. To start it, it needs to actually have music files of the type mentioned above to be able to select and play them. http://gamesalad.com/wiki/behaviors_reference:play_music
  • MonjiOMonjiO Member Posts: 20
    If I use the volume attribute in devices, won't that also affect the volume level of the SFX? Or does that ONLY affect music?

Also, consider this a vote to have a volume selector as part of the Play Music behavior, similar to how it works for Sounds.
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    It only affects the Music volume. We will look into you suggestion. Thanks
  • MonjiOMonjiO Member Posts: 20
    Just wanted to say thanks for the tips, CodeMonkey! The sound in my game is coming along really nicely.

A note on my earlier suggestion: I think it's more intuitive to have the Play Music function work almost exactly like Play Sound. When I see the volume setting in Devices, I assume it's a global sound setting and not one specific to music, whereas the volume slider on Play Sound is crystal clear on its functionality.