GameSalad

Camera movement and extended scenes.

I've been trying to work out if it's possible to emulate the extended movement of something like color switch – which appears to just keep on scrolling up indefinitely. As far as I understand it, camera movement requires an extended scene. What if you want the game to be infinite and have the camera controlled by the actor?

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Posts: 10,969Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef

I don't think they are controlling the camera. It's just a matter of spawning actors from the top of the screen to make it look that way. There are Doodle Jump templates and tutorials around here that would probably be helpful since it's the same style of game.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• pHghostpHghost London, UKPosts: 1,990Member

There two options you have is to either

a) loop the scene

b) make the scene really large

The fact is, that infinite games aren't ever played for an infinite amount of time. If you extend the scene to be long enough to last a, say, 45-minute game, it's pretty much guaranteed nobody will actually ever reach the end.

• monkeyboy+simianmonkeyboy simian Posts: 465Member, PRO

thanks @tatiang – I'll look for a doodle jump template and check it out. I have a color switch template by Sparky and it uses an extended scene. Which makes me wonder just how large can you make a scene? As @pHghost said, it's one of two options. Regarding looping – I haven't looked into that as yet – but wouldn't that mean spawning the same actors over and over?

• tatiangtatiang Posts: 10,969Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef

Yes, for a looping scene you'd spawn the same actors again and again.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• pHghostpHghost London, UKPosts: 1,990Member

The spawner can also move with the camera, if necessary.