Behavior: "Reset Scene" super glitchy

Simple Gamer ArtsSimple Gamer Arts Member, PRO Posts: 302
edited November 2017 in Working with GS (Mac)

When player dies in my game, there is a sound and sequence I made for it that takes place... so I need the "reset-scene behavior" to kick in automatically 1 second later, rather than immediately... but unfortunately, immediately is the only way it doesn't glitch up... am I missing something?

---MORE DETAILS OF WHAT I'VE DONE:----
• When player dies, an attribute is changed and the reset scene kicks in and it works just fine like that.... BUT, I put in a timer (reset scene after 1 second and it glitches up)

• I also tried to spawn an entire different actor who's main purpose is to "Reset Scene" and it also glitches up...

(So I notice if I involve SPAWNING or TIMER in a "reset scene" behavior, it glitches up)

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I've never had a problem with the Reset Scene behavior. It's pretty simple... it resets the actors on the scene and all scene attributes. It doesn't affect game attributes.

Post a screenshot of your Reset Scene behavior and the Timer behavior. You're doing something that's causing the problem but it's hard to know without more details.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• gatrifgatrif Member Posts: 60

@tatiang can i put reset scene in Pause screen ?
    i tried but its repeat pause game ..

• Simple Gamer ArtsSimple Gamer Arts Member, PRO Posts: 302
    edited November 2017

@tatiang Hi, here is a screenshot of actor that contains the reset behavior (which is activated only after player dies)

The reset behavior activates, but the game freezes and keeps repeating the death sound.

• Cutscene EntertainmentCutscene Entertainment Member, PRO Posts: 138

Hey Vox,
    Like Tatiang said, the reset attribute is usually very easy to work with. It would be a whole lot easier for us to help you out if you were to attach your file or send some screenshots. That way we can see exactly how the whole thing is set up and possibly catch anything that may be causing the game to glitch.

edited November 2017

@Cutscene Entertainment @tatiang

Hey guys, I just used the Reset-Game behavior now and it works beautifully... I only have 1 scene at the moment and I'm guessing that using Reset-Scene with having only 1 scene could be the culprit of the glitch, just my hunch for now.

• Cutscene EntertainmentCutscene Entertainment Member, PRO Posts: 138

@thevoxpty said:
    @Cutscene Entertainment @tatiang

Hey guys, I just used the Reset-Game behavior now and it works beautifully... I only have 1 scene at the moment and I'm guessing that using Reset-Scene with having only 1 scene could be the culprit of the glitch, just my hunch for now.

Nice. I'm glad everything worked out!

edited November 2017

but without a doubt Reset Scene has glitches... now I need to use it but it just does not work... the game freezes on the "death image" and loops the death sound every 1 second.

Reset Scene only works when I apply it on my MAIN ACTOR on the moment he makes impact on platform (death)... the moment I put a timer on it... it starts to glitch up. If I replace it with Reset Game, it works perfectly fine...

I've tried EVERYTHING else to try to make the reset scene 1 second after moment of impact (death) but it gets glitchy...

Will provide more screenshots, I know you can't help me without them.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Never have I had a issue with reset scene behaviour. 99% there is normally something else going on that isn't being mentioned/shown in the screenshots.
    You are welcome to send me a PM with the attached project if it's something you want to have looked into.

Best,

edited November 2017

@Two.E Thank you and I appreciate your offer and am considering it... but, what should I do if I'm super paranoid of sharing specifically this project... I feel I'm onto a great game.

I will say this, Reset Game works perfectly fine,,, then I replace it with Reset Scene and it glitches up.

Anyways, let me think about it.

edited November 2017

It sounds like there is something going on with your Game.Attributes. Clearly one or more of them needs to be reset along with the reset scene behaviour.

What does Glitch out mean in this case?

Best,

edited November 2017

@Two.E Ok, I've tried Reset Scene in same project just different scene and it works perfectly fine. I think you are right about something with Game.Attributes this is my first full scale game I'm making on my own and I have a tone of Game.Attributes... I'm sure something is up with it.

True points (A, B, C). I'm sure you are good for it.

Ok, will check my attributes and give one last try on deciphering it. If I can't, then would appreciate your help if I send project.

Thanks Two.E

One question, reseting a scene; does this reset Game.Attributes too? I'm thinking it does not and this would explain why reseting-game works perfectly where reseting-scene does not.

As mentioned by @tatiang :

A reset Scene Behaviour does not reset Game.Attributes.

A reset Game Behaviour resets everything in the game.

Best,

edited November 2017

Thanks @Two.E

Well, there lies my problem; I will have to find a way to reset game.attributes by coding I'm guessing, so my reset-scene behavior can work.

edited November 2017

Fixed my "reset-scene issue." I had to program Game.Attributes back to their initial values using "Otherwise."

Thank's for your patience and replies @tatiang @Two.E, resolved it thanks to you.