GameSalad

Control Camera issue

Simple+Gamer+ArtsSimple Gamer Arts Posts: 96Member, PRO
edited December 2 in Working with GS (Mac)

I'm making a runner; so my main actor of course has Control Camera behavior. I completely closed the tracking area, making it as tight as it can be. Is there an easy way to have the actor -100 pixels X from the dead center of the tracking area?

Thank you!

Comments

  • BBEnkBBEnk Posts: 1,731Member, PRO

    You could put your camera in a separate actor, and then constrain that to players X with an offset.

  • Simple+Gamer+ArtsSimple Gamer Arts Posts: 96Member, PRO
    edited December 2

    @BBEnk SWEEET-AHHHH!! thanks again!!!

  • pHghostpHghost London, UKPosts: 2,103Member

    @BBEnk said:
    You could put your camera in a separate actor, and then constrain that to players X with an offset.

    Yup, unfortunately this is the only way to do it currently. It would be great to be able to set an offset for the camera control area.

  • SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,754Member

    @pHghost said:
    Yup, unfortunately this is the only way to do it currently . . .

    You can constrain the camera origin offset (X and Y) to the player without having the use a separate actor.

  • pHghostpHghost London, UKPosts: 2,103Member

    @Socks said:
    You can constrain the camera origin offset (X and Y) to the player without having the use a separate actor.

    I find that this often gives the camera movement a jumpy/jittery feel (though granted, I last tried using this method more than a year ago).

    It would be nice to be able to offset the camera control area in any case, since you could have it offset while the area is more than a single point.

  • BBEnkBBEnk Posts: 1,731Member, PRO

    @Socks said:

    @pHghost said:
    Yup, unfortunately this is the only way to do it currently . . .

    You can constrain the camera origin offset (X and Y) to the player without having the use a separate actor.

    I never put my camera in my visible player always an invisible actor I feel it gives me more control, and better for other camera effects, I might use in the game.

  • SocksSocks London, UK.Posts: 12,754Member

    @pHghost said:
    I find that this often gives the camera movement a jumpy/jittery feel (though granted, I last tried using this method more than a year ago).

    It should work just fine ? It's always worked fine for me, maybe you left the control camera behaviour in the actor (so it had both the constrain to camera origin and the control camera behaviour ?) . . . if that's not the case then it might be a layer issue, best to place the camera above the player (and in fact above everything) in the layer stack.

    @pHghost said:
    It would be nice to be able to offset the camera control area in any case, since you could have it offset while the area is more than a single point.

    You can also do this by constraining the camera's origin offset (along with the min/max function) to the player.

  • pHghostpHghost London, UKPosts: 2,103Member

    @Socks said:
    It should work just fine?

    I still have the project, so will revisit it and have a look. It seemed to run smoothly on Preview but then seemed to skip a frame now and then on device, with small jumps.

    It's definitely not a logic clash, I didn't use the Control Camera behaviour in that project, but a layer issue is quite possible. I usually have my camera control actor in the lowest layer, will try putting it up top.

    @Socks said:
    You can also do this by constraining the camera's origin offset (along with the min/max function) to the player.

    Yeah, I don't doubt that. I've just got lazy buns, and would prefer an easy way out. :joy:

Sign In or Register to comment.