Be careful... (Aspect ratio issues)

pixiopixio Member, PRO Posts: 8
edited January 2018 in Working with GS (Mac)

Be careful when updating your app. (Mac version) This is not a GameSalad application issue as much as it is a GameSalad app generation issue...

I realize that GameSalad made adjustments for the loading screen (1242x2689) which is great, it fills up the screen. But the problem is that it adjusts the aspect ratio for everything...

I am currently trying to see if I can get the test versions to follow the previous aspect ratios. Overscan cuts off information (fig 3), Leaderboards makes the scene too small (fig 1). Figure 2, the existing version, is the best aspect ratio.

I didn't anticipate the GameSalad doing this, the language seemed to indicate that it would only affect the loading screen, which you had to adjust the graphics to spec. Anyone know how to easily retain the original aspect ratio?

![](htt

ps://us.v-cdn.net/5017598/uploads/editor/6z/5ibh6qzb0tri.png "")

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

Do a search for "Universal builds" - when you are using Stretch, you need to also have the camera dynamically account for the new screen size.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Yes. Overscan cuts off edges. It’s always done that?? But with the iPhone X it cuts off a lot!! A pain.

• pixiopixio Member, PRO Posts: 8

Hey Toque, and everyone else. There is a great fix I've discovered! Please note that this solution will NOT fill up the scene for iPhone X. What you will have is a letterboxed scene, but the difference is that it will be optimized size wise according to your specs. Note the difference between fig 1 and fig 2, i.e.: the size difference in the poopiebabies!

What you need to do is place a simple rule at the beginning of the game (i.e.: splash screen) Believe it or not, it will adjust for all subsequent gameplay with no affect on actors. Caveat: This has been tested for a game that has static scenes. I don't know if it will work with camera actions.

Here's the logic: The solution/aspect ratio is determined by the width of your game scene. You need to figure out the optimal width in pixels that you want the scene to occupy that does not cut off your actors or critical art/data. (Also, be careful of X's bar at the bottom – allow space in your calculation. (See fig 2.) This number is the variable. In my case, the number was 2416 wide. The first attribute addresses the Device screen size. The width of the iPhone X is 2689. That is a constant. The change attribute is the width that you want the scene to be. Note: make sure you click OFF "Legacy Retina Independence", and check "Overscan" - which expands the scene (under the restrictions of the below.)

Follow the rule below, which will only affect the game if it is played on an iPhone X!

If you don't require your game to fill up the entire X screen, this is a great solution!

Comments?

• pixiopixio Member, PRO Posts: 8

UPDATE: This doesn't work REAL WORLD. It only worked with GS Creator. Sorry.

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited February 2018

I have videos on my youtube channel for universal builds that will adjust for any device automatically no need to plug in numbers.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCISegV_8lk0IIQ2-xZ7o8Vg