What is considered too much RAM utilization for an endless side scrolling game today?

monchi7118monchi7118 Member, PRO Posts: 1
edited May 2018 in Tech Support

I have made attempts to lower RAM Consumption but I have only managed to bring it as low as 59.8MB when testing on an IPhone 6S Plus.

The game is about half way done and I am afraid it may be too much to handle for most phones.

Any information on this will help ! Thank you in advanced !

My Frames per second: 27.34

Memory Usage

Images:118MB Sounds:0 Game Engine: 17.3MB Other:0 Total: 59.8MB

Answers

• CORE GameCORE Game Member, PRO Posts: 280

mine is full of stuff
    Sound: 2.0mb
    Game Engine: 49mb
    Other:67mb
    Total: 173mb

and the fps: 60+

so there must be something not normal so far.

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458
    edited August 2018

How do you see the FPS? Anyways, UltimateRunner, a game I helped release, has a signed APK like 97 mb, but then Google Play added like 17ish or 20ish mb more more for cache. The point being the game runs smoothly, at least in my opinion. So I guess that isn't the limit. :)

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited August 2018

@monchi7118 said:
    I have made attempts to lower RAM Consumption but I have only managed to bring it as low as 59.8MB when testing on an IPhone 6S Plus.

The game is about half way done and I am afraid it may be too much to handle for most phones.

Any information on this will help ! Thank you in advanced !

My Frames per second: 27.34

Memory Usage

Images:118MB Sounds:0 Game Engine: 17.3MB Other:0 Total: 59.8MB

FPS generally doesn't correlate with RAM. FPS drops are far more likely to be caused by excessive processing.

IPhone 6S Plus has a max of 2gb of RAM, so you could get near 1GB and not run into issues as iOS tends to flag and error at about 40-50% of total ram usage.

You need to be using an adhoc build and hook it up to xcode instruments for real extensive testing.

Some general tips for optimizing processor usage would be:

• Reduce the number of spawns used in the game, especially if they occur concurrently or very frequently.

• Reduce the usage of constrains, timers, and loops that happen often and concurrently ( this one isn't as bad as it used to be).

• Reduce the usage of particles, Especially if you are using hundreds or more.

• Don't write to a table more often than necessary. Every .5 is maybe too much, every 15 seconds is probably fine.

• Be careful with physics, excessive collision detecting, especially if using "better collisions" on a large number of actors.

• A large number of actors with a large number of rules on a single scene can also lag

• Write efficient code, ask yourself if your code is executing too often for what's needed. E.g. using constrains when a change attribute at the right time would suffice.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331
    edited August 2018

Your game can keep using RAM until the device runs out of RAM. Modern cell phones and tablets are superb at managing RAM. An iPhone will keep giving you more until there's none left to give, with no adverse effects. When it runs out, iOS will kill your game, causing it to crash. You are only using too much RAM when this happens. If your game isn't filling the system RAM and being killed by the OS, it isn't using too much RAM.

You aren't using even close to enough to be needing to worry about this. Optimising it might help your game run smoother, but it's pointless as far as RAM consumption is concerned.

As others have said, it's with the logic that you're having problems. You've been given excellent tips regarding that already, so I won't repeat them.