AppFormative and GDPR

Hi @Hopscotch I'm finishing my first game and I'm evaluate the use of the AppFormative in the game to track how the user behaves, this will be a problem with the new regulation?
Thanks!

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited May 2018

I am glad you ask @CasualEvolution

APPFormative is 100% GDPR compliant and has been so since day one!

Even more so than you may think, since we run and manage our own servers. We do NOT use services from the usual big G, A or M which sneakily look into your data.

We have actually been GDPR compliant since the legislation was first announced, because
    we are a Germany based company, and as such, have generally much stricter rules to adhere to.

Also, our focus has always been to be compliant especially with regards to apps targeted at minors.

So, in detail, ALL functions in APPFormative, be that Cross-Platform-Leaderboards, Level-Sharing, Event-Tracking, Analytics, etc. adhere to the GDPR.

• We don't store any user identifiable data
    • No IP addresses
    • No Advertising or Device IDs
    • We do not use any 3rd Party analytics or tracking
    • We do not pass on any data to any 3rd parties
    • We have end-to-end control of the data, no 3rd party services
    • We have strict and limiting access policies regarding data access

Even if you track User-Metrics with APPFormative, you are still fully compliant with the regulations, as there is no direct, indirect or inferred way of identifying a specific user or his/her geo proximity.

What it means for you

Since APPFormative is totally compliant as per the GDPR regulations, you do not need to offer the user any Opt-In or Opt-Out choice. The data transmitted is completely anonymous and within the allowed processes for necessary technical operation.

You should however include some fine-print, maybe on the splash screen, informing the user of what is happening. Something like this:

"This app does not collect any personal identifiable information and no data is shared with third parties. Connection to the internet and the transfer of data is purely to enable certain functionality within the app and does not bear any relationship to you as an individual, your device or your location."

(Obviously, this only applies once GS also have switched tracking off, and you do not use ads.)

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

@Hopscotch thanks! very clear :)