Memory reset issue

butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
edited November -1 in Working with GS (Mac)
My question is, with the memory reset issue and games crashing after so much memory building up, does that mean that later levels in the game (before the game crashes) are probably more bogged down than they would be if this bug was fixed?

Just curious, I noticed that as the game progresses, it slows down until it comes to a hault.

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    That would be correct. As memory or system resources are being used they are not being released when the game has finished using them. Consequently performance gets slower and slower after a few minutes. Issue is compounded when you have a lot happening on screen and you can see the framerates steadily drop as you play.

Do a simple test by creating a spawning actor and moving the spawed actors across the screen. When they reach the opposite side destroy them on collision with another actor.

Let it run indefinitely (2 minutes) on the iPhone/touch and you will see the rates drop away until it can go no further than
    2fps. I've tried added scene and game resets and nothing clears it unless you quit and restart.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    TShirtBooth, I don't spawn actors on the screen, I made a sidescrolling platformer, so they are placed in the scene before it starts, and if there are spawned actors, which there are few, they are destroyed once they leave the screen

Toby, that's what I figured! My levels are very graphic heavy since it's a platformer, and by the 4th scene, it will crash, so I was trying to figure if the 4th scene was too much and causing slowdown, or if it was the progression of memory usage not being reset per each new level.

Oh well ! I'll keep working on it and perfecting it until this is fixed ;)

That makes only 1 out of 3 games I have almost complete, ready for release thus far.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Really, you should try and put in 'cheats' - so you can test each level without having to go through the whole game. Thus you could start at level 4 and see if you can play four levels like you can from the beginning.

do this by putting in 'cheat' actors that have rules in them like:

If player presses key '1'

go to scene level 5.
    Change lives to 3
    Change weapons to 5

You know, general stuff like that.

If you're testing on the iphone, just make the actor clickable so you have to press it on-screen to enable the cheats.

Hope that helps,
    QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io