State of the Salad 06/2018

Comments

• tosirootosiroo Member Posts: 17

I'm having the same problem.
    Could not post game.. :'( :'(

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458

It's fixed! :)

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,051

@hybrid @Twayne2 problem should be solved. I mistimed my calendar reminder for updating our SSL certs by a day. Everything is updated now and you should be good to go.

• Simple Gamer ArtsSimple Gamer Arts Member, PRO Posts: 302

Hello, so let me get this straight, as of today:

IOS publishing with RC BUILD is good to go on 1.25.94 and Admob banners should be showing on this version? (because it wasn't showing on .92) correct?

Android publishing with RC BUILD is the way to go on 1.25.94, Admob banners should be showing on this version as well, but the sound is distorted... correct?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,051

iOS non RC should be good with Admob banners. RC is meant to fix some other issue, but there may be some problems with it.

@adent42 ok, great, thanks!

How about Android?

Android normal is good for Admob banners too. Check the RC Thread: https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/96619/gamesalad-publishing-binaries-rc-current for updates. Whatever is labeled "Current Build" is the normal generate button and anything newer is "RC"

Thanks @adent42 , appreciate it :)

• JettJamesJettJames Member Posts: 7

What? Creator 2.0? I've been using GameSalad since 2014, and I have seen a MASSIVE decline in GameSalad's capabilities. Is this why I've been losing projects and getting very inconsistent results for so long now? Because some 2.0 !@#$% has been going on?

• JettJamesJettJames Member Posts: 7

Wow, now since I look at this comment section, I realize I'm not the only one having major problems. The state of this program is fucking terrible and I doubt any of the devs give a !@#$% at this point.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Keep up the good work boys and girls. Thanks @adent42

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@freneticz I had trouble reproducing them (as in I couldn't get any crashes going), so I spent yesterday on the tool for a "break". Since the crash is only on the RC, I'm gonna spend another day on the tool and get back to the crash tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who sent me detailed crash reports, that will help me track things down sooner.

Basically, there are two crashes:

The easy to fix one is due to not having a privateDataConsentForAds variable. We made a mistake in the code that will look for that flag if you have ad behaviors but don't have any of the ad networks enabled. So just add that flag and set it to 0 if you don't use ads.

The harder one to fix seems to be related to the OpenAL update we did to avoid the PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK. There's something in the new code that makes the state of the audio stream system inconsistent after a few hibernates and eventually it can cause a crash.

So, it sucks for now, but my recommendation is to go back to the non-RC and take the PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK hit to avoid the crashes.

edited August 2018

FYI, we have a new build of GameSalad for Mac that gets rid of the disappearing image issue, we're in the process of testing it.

For those of you technically minded, we had to replace IKImageBrowserView with an NSCollectionView for the image browser. The ImageKit based image browser is backed by OpenGL and something about how we were tearing down the scene editor (which also uses OpenGL) caused the images to disappear. I could find no way around it so we went with the replacement instead.

Once we do some basic testing here, I'll post a link for anyone who want to jump on it early while we do some more extensive testing.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

@adent42 Any chance we could get iPhone X screen dimensions added to the preview dropdown list too? Hopefully that's a pretty simple one!

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@Armelline said:
    @adent42 Any chance we could get iPhone X screen dimensions added to the preview dropdown list too? Hopefully that's a pretty simple one!

+1

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

@Armelline said:

i asked about this a month or so back. i think they have it in the works but until then, gotta keep using custom screen resolution on the drop down and set to 375x812. you can also tweak the html preview to have that resolution added by adding a line to one of the files in the gs package (you may already know this but for those that didn’t).

edited August 2018

For anyone who wants to be on the bleeding edge...

http://releases.gamesalad.com/creator/GameSalad-Creator-1.25.95.dmg

We'll be testing it a bit more throughout the week before it becomes "official"

@Armelline / @bob loblaw I'll look into it, probably not this release but I'm hoping it will be something quick to add shortly after.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

@adent42 said:

@Armelline / @bob loblaw I'll look into it, probably not this release but I'm hoping it will be something quick to add shortly after.

good stuff. one feature i would like you guys to add if possible please is a function where you can save your custom resolutions.

it would make pre-testing of android devices a lot more convenient, instead of having to re-enter a custom resolution over and over.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

Awesome. No problems with the new build so far.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited August 2018

@adent42 said:
    FYI, we have a new build of GameSalad for Mac that gets rid of the disappearing image issue, we're in the process of testing it.

For those of you technically minded, we had to replace IKImageBrowser with an NSCollectionView for the image browser. The ImageKit based image browser us backed by OpenGL and something about how we were tearing down the scene editor (which also uses OpenGL) caused the images to disappear. I could find no way around it so we went with the replacement instead.

Once we do some basic testing here, I'll post a link for anyone who want to jump on it early while we do some more extensive testing.

@adent42 said:

The image bugs with the view do seem to be completely resolved, and I didn't see anything major from my initial testing.

The images do seem to load a little slower in a big project when scrolling through the image list quickly (can only see so far ahead and behind in the list.)

It also seems the ability to "search" for an image is no longer available. In the past you could start to type an image name in the image view and it would jump to it. This is the most critical thing to me.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@AlchimiaStudios I'll see if there's a quick fix for that for the next release.

edited August 2018

Also, in case you're not looking there, the RC has been updated with a new Android build with info in the RC thread.

• MelodyCatsMelodyCats Member, PRO Posts: 128
    edited August 2018

seems to be working well - although thought I'd mention that I'm not getting any sound in android version (either music or sound) - although the images and general performance seems good.

@MusicBoutique can you try hitting Build RC one more time and seeing if it works. When I posted, I forgot to run a script to fix the sound issue, so it took me a bit after to realize sound wasn't working.

• MelodyCatsMelodyCats Member, PRO Posts: 128

@adent42 hi tried a new Build RC but still no sound. Tried on 2 different android devices...

@MusicBoutique PM me your publishing link and I'll take a look.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

@adent42 did you manage to find/implement a fix for the crashing issues in this release?

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@strag said:
    @adent42 did you manage to find/implement a fix for the crashing issues in this release?

I think this is covered in this comment from the other thread. Specifically about suspend/resume.:

@adent42 said:
    RC update at the top of the thread. We still can't repo the crash on the devices we have, but we did some sensible things like getting a much newer version of OpenAL and changing how we trigger the suspend/resume of OpenAL. The new version of OpenAL also uses Android's OpenSL which is their preferred sound system. These things combined will hopefully fix the crash issues, so give them a try! (We'll continue testing here as well).

So hopefully it's working now.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

@AlchimiaStudios Thanks I missed that.
    Sounds like it might be fixed ;)