How to Restore User's Progress through iCloud or Gamecenter?

Apple review is rejecting my app because they want my users to be able to restore the items they've already bought (not in-app items) using iCloud or Gamecenter. Basically, for the user to have an online cloud account that can restore their previous save game. Is this even possible in gamesalad?

Comments

• JoeBJoeB Member Posts: 160

My membership is due to expire soon and I'll probably not be renewing it, after 3 years of being a pro subscriber, if this isn't possible to in gamesalad

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

No, but it's possible for you to manage their saved games and items using AppFormative*, a third-party tool. I'm not sure if that would suffice for Apple but it might be worth a shot.

*Disclosure: I have no connection to AppFormative.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Have you guys ever had this kind of rejection from apple? In my app, you can purchase consumable coins, and then use these to buy in-game items. They want a way to restore these in-game items from other devices.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@JoeB If you're going the in-game money route (offering consumable purchases that can then be used to consume other in-game items you do need to make your own restore system. Since GameSalad can send and receive URL requests you can set up your own database. Otherwise I highly recommend Appformative by @Hopscotch as was suggested. Their service is awesome and their implementation is straight forward and easy to use.

You can use the built-in restore behavior for all non consumable purchases (one time buys like full game unlock).

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited July 2018

That seems very odd. I can understand denying for not having IAP restore. But never heard of it for not having what is essentially cloud saves.

I don't think it's in any documentation anywhere that cloud saves are required. What did they specifically say to you?

Anyway, appformative is probably the best bet here, or roll your own MAMP or LAMP stacks with custom code.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

I will look into these things! I've been developing apps for like 5 years now and I've never encountered this before.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

I think the reason is that you're essentially selling non consumable items (that you keep forever) which users should be able to restore anywhere. Even though you're selling consumable in-game coins first, you're then allowing that to unlock things that need restoration. I don't know of a single game (recent) where permanent items (bought with in-game money and not direct through app store) aren't restorable. Seems a reasonable request by Apple.

@Hopscotch I've been looking at the appformative site, and to do what I need to , as described in this post, do I have to use the 'Cloud-Based Variables' and pay the $125? Or is there a free service I can use first to try it out (as I'm not sure if Apple will let my app in even if I fix this issue)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited August 2018

I've successfully got around this multiple times by having the player buy coins with IAP, then using those coins to unlock buttons that trigger a free IAP for the non-consumable item. So, as an example, they buy "race bucks" for $1 for 100, then buy tracks for 50 "race bucks" each. But the 50 "race bucks" unlock a free non-comsumable IAP that then allows them to restore these purchases again (though not any excess "race bucks." When they do the purchase it tells them that a free IAP will be triggered to ensure their purchase is tied to their account and can be restored.

Apple went through a phase of rejecting apps for non-restorable consumable IAP bought items about a year and a half ago, and every so often they go mad rejecting games for it. As with all of Apple's rejection reasons it's pretty random if they'll care or not.

@Armelline I think i'll try doing that !