Do you use Online or Desktop Creator?

tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
edited October 2018 in Working with GS (Online)

Now that the online version of Creator has been around for some time, I'm curious how many people are using it versus the traditional Mac/Win desktop version of Creator?

If at least 20 people respond, I will give a random person who responded a half hour GameSalad consulting session (help with a project file but not including video conferencing) valued at $30.

Edit: I made the poll anonymous... whoops... so if you want to be included in the drawing, please post a comment below.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

I use the desktop Mac version for all my 'real' work. But I do keep an eye on the online version to watch it's progress.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

I only use desktop Mac version, when online version will ready (with all desktop features), then I will check and evaluate if is more convenient or not

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458

I use desktop windows. The online creator I have not tested recently, but when I did I was not very comfortable with it. :anguished:

edited October 2018

If I win just reroll until someone else does. Not that I am that good, just don't need it. Did you vote @tatiang?

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

I keep an eye on the online creator. But desktop is still my preferred tool.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@Twayne2 said:
    If I win just reroll until someone else does. Not that I am that good, just don't need it. Did you vote @tatiang?

Nope, but I guess I should. I only use the Mac version.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

Once the online tool has all of the same features as the desktop tool I'll be glad to use it, but until then there is no point really, except for just testing it out anyway.

• RThurmanRThurman Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 2,879

I tried to use the online version last week. Its getting there, but I think I will continue to stick to the Mac version for now.

edited October 2018

GS has invested so much time and energy when they could have been improving the still better versions. I wonder how much it has payed them.

@Twayne2 I think they have a very long view that it will pay off in the education sector that is now their focus. I imagine that will likely happen over the long run, long run being years.

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

BuildBox has literally been released, updated with 3 major releases and now has a 3d platform. All while GS "Looks into" removing the loading wheel.

GameSalad is excellent as an education software, it provides a great stepping stone into more advance developing once you leave school.

If your looking for better options, they have been out there for a while. And in today's App Store market, you really need better options if your taking it seriously.

If your new to development and want everything laid out in a simple logical way that takes in real world than GS is your option. Plus, the amount of support and resources is amazing.

The web creator is not aimed at developers - lets stop pretending it is.

Best,
    Two.E

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

I'm prepared to switch to the web creator, but I cannot while previews are done using the HTML5 engine. It's just not up to scratch yet for big projects.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

I ticked ‘both’ but as others I use desktop and play with online.

The online tool is clearly being added to but it’s just not viable yet.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Desktop Mac only. I have enough trouble keeping up with the foibles, fixes and workarounds of the desktop version, I haven't even tried the online version.

If I'm forced to invest time into something new, especially a beta like the online version, I'll jump platforms and try GameMaker or Buildbox. ;)

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

I agree with @Armelline on this, quite happy to switch but its just not up to scratch and currently cannot be used for a lot of projects. It needs finishing before anyone can use it seriously.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672

@Twayne2 said:

Same here @tatiang ! - nice gesture though!

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

I don't think we have a choice right now do we? The desktop version is the only one with all the features and requirements GS has developed over all these years. I tried the online version but it's a shell of what it could be.

@Hypnorabbit I honestly haven't tried the online version in many months but when it first was released in beta, I gave it a good shot and found it awkward to use.

It's little things like the fact that I just had to double-click three times in three different places to open an existing project that was already listed on the screen. It's possible I'm doing something wrong but if a simple task like that isn't immediately intuitive, it can be problematic.

As flawed as it is and as good as it could be, I really love the desktop version. I'm sure a big part of that is having used it for years and also the fact that I was able to make my first app using it and without spending a year learning to code in some archaic language.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263
    edited October 2018

Yeah I've found the online platform completely unintuitive too @tatiang. Nobody asked for it, existing platforms weren't even finished when it started development, and it just doesn't seem like a very logical business move. They should have just focused on the Mac platform and been done with it.

Now we're left with a windows platform that has 70% of the features, the Mac platform which works (generally) but lacks basic functionality like leaderboards on Android, and an online platform that requires an incredible amount of further work and lacks everything viable for actual development (right now).

And Gamesalad has one part time developer. And they still accept my $25 a month.

It's a sorry state of affairs.

Well... we didn't get to 20 and most of you are veterans who probably don't need my help but I'll just put this offer out there:

The first person to respond who wants 1/2 an hour of my help will receive it. Keep in mind that my strengths are things like tables, loops, mathematical ways to create more efficient rules, debugging; my weaknesses are things like IAP, advertising, publishing.

Do you do Windows?

As in house cleaning. ?

Hey, how come the poll no longer tallys up the votes?

So I just did. 13 desktop and 1 just plays with online (rowdy pants) but relies on desktop.

The rest of the members who didn't vote are too busy struggling with the online version to read the Forum and notice the poll. ?

@PhilipCC said:
    Do you do Windows?

As in house cleaning. ?

I can't even keep my own house clean. ;)

@PhilipCC Did you want consulting help? If not, I'm gonna offer it to @Two.E

I don't need any help thanks :)
    I just wanted to see any of your grid/table projects!!

• hzappshzapps Member, PRO Posts: 173

Ive always used the Mac Desktop version. Not quite sure even how to access the online version.

edited October 2018

@Two.E said:
    I don't need any help thanks :)
    I just wanted to see any of your grid/table projects!!

Hmm. The two that come to mind were built for clients who hired me and I don't think I can share them. One was a "simon" type game where you watch squares in a grid light up and then tap the sequence that you observed. I made a "stack" that pushed and pulled/deleted the square positions. The other was a kick-boxing trainer that had very tight timing for certain moves along with audio instructions that had to happen in certain sequences. Lots and lots of audio rules without the benefit of expressions :( but some really cool timing behaviors.

If I think of something I can share that isn't published or was a good demo, I'll post it here.

edited October 2018

@tatiang said:
    @PhilipCC Did you want consulting help? If not, I'm gonna offer it to @Two.E

Thank you, but no.

I didn't know that making a joke would win me a prize. ?

Maybe adent 42 wouldn't mind some help. ?