Google Play Games available in RC

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058
edited October 2018 in News from the Dev Team

The new RC has been pushed with Google Play Games Services (GPGS) support for Leaderboards and Achievements. To take advantage of this you will have to set up things on Google's side, update your app, and publish with "Build RC".

Publishing now has checkboxes for Google Leaderboards and Achievements and a box for the GPGS App ID.

No documentation yet, but you should be able to figure most of it out.

Some notes:

• Reset achievements is a NOOP. It's not possible via the Google API so that behavior will do nothing.
  • Google generates Achievement and Leaderboard IDs, so you will have to update your game to use those IDs.
  • Google's API doesn't let us update achievements by percentage. I think I can grab the achievement information for the game and correctly set "incremental" achievement, but the current release will send the percentage value directly to GPG. Great if your achievement has 100 increments, not so great if it doesn't. The next RC should have a fix. One step "unlockable" achievements should work fine, to unlock just set the achievement value to 100.
  • Also it IS possible to test without "publishing" your game settings in the GPG developer console. (You'll know what I mean when you start setting your stuff up). So if you're doing stuff doesn't seem to be working, check with the forums or DM me first. Don't try to publish your GPGS setup in the hopes that it will fix stuff. Testing should work before you "publish" as long as you list your account as a test account in Google's interface.

We'll have full docs before the "production" release of this feature. Until then, I'm gonna go back to coding to fix the incremental achievements problem. In the mean time, help each other out with setup and I'll check in to answer questions.

Enjoy!

Comments

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

That's brilliant thanks @adent42 I'll test it today.

• AshumBesherAshumBesher Member, PRO Posts: 121

I believe I've done everything right, but now when I'm testing my app I'm getting an error message:
    Unexpected error:Log tag "GooglePlay-GameServicesProvider" exceeds limit of 23 characters

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774
    edited October 2018

Anybody successfully done leaderboard?

@AshumBesher Got the same error

@adent42 ???

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058

ugh... easy fix... in case you're wondering the tag it's complaining about is part of how Android logging code works. I've tagged debug log statements with "GooglePlayGameServicesProvider". I guess on lower API versions there was a limit to the log tag length (it wasn't a problem when I was developing). I'll updated the RC shortly.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058

Ah, it's not based on API version, it's that the error doesn't trigger in debug version and I had left some error logging in the system for the release version.

Okay, try again now. Issues should be worked out. Even had I not flubbed the logging code, it turns out the publishing server setup was a bit off. But now that's fixed and I was able to get a test game through the publishing server and doing the leaderboards and achievements thing.

Resume Implementing!!!!

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774
    edited October 2018

Got this now, it say something about achievement but i only have leaderboard.

This is after i got logged in on google games and created a player alias.

edited October 2018

@freneticz It looks like the code to handle incremental updates assumes that achievements are active (which never threw an error before because I've been testing with both system enabled).

I should have a fix by tomorrow, but for now you should be able to continue testing by checking Achievements to let the game continue. That will allow the code to initialize the Achievements system. In your case it just wouldn't do anything.

@freneticz thanks for pointing that out. It also reminded me that I needed put in the code required to get the Achievement Notifications to show. These builds take a while so I'll probably deploy that update tomorrow morning. Hopefully that will be the final RC for this feature!

edited October 2018

Okay, RC update is up. Should fixes the issue @freneticz saw and show notifications on achievement unlock.

There's still some stuff missing, but this should hopefully be more helpful than not: http://help.gamesalad.com/gamesalad-cookbook/7-using-pro-features/7-google-play-games-services/

Oh also, something I saw on Google's site that may be of interest:

If your game is primarily targeted towards children under 13, you cannot implement Google Play game services.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

Awesome @adent42, thanks for your time on this!

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229

@adent42 Thank you for this :) :) Also, your steady presence on the forum this past year hasn't gone unnoticed!

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Works beautifully thanks. Finally! Thanks @adent42 and keep up the good work. As Blob and Armelline said, thanks for keeping things together. Really appreciate the support <3 .

• supernovagamessupernovagames Member Posts: 19

I am having issues with this, leaderboards and achievements don't show. It logs into google play and I'm using the RC build.

edited February 2019

@supernovagames if you haven't already contacted support, PM me and I can see what's up. One thing to remember is to make sure you're using the correct signing key. An app signed with a different key than the one submitted when you registered the app on the Google Play site won't work.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

@adent42 I'm getting the following Alert on my newly published app. I have not implemented any Achievements. Is this something that's been recently added to the builds?

• supernovagamessupernovagames Member Posts: 19

Adent42, I sent you a PM a couple days ago. I will post it on here, since I have not heard anything back.

I copied the signing certificate fingerprint (SHA1) from terminal and pasted it. I also checked the google game services game ID, were correct on publishing. The google play services login works and nothing else. The game shows up in google play with no leaderboards or achievements.

• robertjacksonrobertjackson Member Posts: 5

@strag said:
    @adent42 I'm getting the following Alert on my newly published app. I have not implemented any Achievements. Is this something that's been recently added to the builds?
    ">

I was actually wondering about the same question. Having the same alert, and I don't know how to fix this.

@robertjackson can you send me the APK you submitted. I'm hoping it's not related to the actual code, but something in the app manifest that we need to disable during publishing.

@strag said:

Just wondered @adent42 did you find anything regarding this issue?

edited March 2019

Not yet. I need an actual APK to test, but from my logic, we don't call the achievements code unless we need it.

@strag can you send me an APK with this problem?

@adent42 just sent .apk via PM

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited March 2019

Oh boy! Sad to see how much the community has shrunk, due to the lack of man power invested in growing the actual GS engine and software features. :s

• gizzi93gizzi93 Member, PRO Posts: 67

@blob said:

Oh boy! Sad to see how much the community has shrunk, due to the lack of man power invested in growing the actual GS engine and software features. :s

I have to agree with you there!

• NKBDLNKBDL Member, PRO Posts: 100

I come here from time to time, but it's not like everyday thing. Hope that as they build this platform we get more users coming back. This is still one of the best 2D prototyping platforms out there!

• Thai A XongThai A Xong Member, PRO Posts: 5
    edited March 2019

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thebossship/id1450747497?mt=8

The last game I make with GS. Everything out there keep updating but Gs is not. Now we still talking about leaderboard and Achievements on google 's side while people talking about 5g. I want build a online game or at least can use facebook log in, showing leaderboard with FB user's avatar... but all I see is that gs is dying, not a sign of hope on cookbook update or a video tutorial.

• NKBDLNKBDL Member, PRO Posts: 100

Same I think FB or Google to login is important