I have a question about this engine

What is the maximum RAM usage it can push?

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited February 2019

I don't know that there's a limit. How large of a game are you intending to make?

Here's a fairly outdated thread about the issue:

https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/408359/#Comment_408359

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@EduardFlavian

The limit isn't imposed by the engine. It's imposed by the RAM on the minimum target device you plan on publishing to.

So if you want your minimum supported device to be a iPhone 6S, that device has 2GB of RAM. But you cannot use all the system memory, as the OS will use some. So a better target would be 1GB or lower of usage from your app to avoid memory allocation errors.

Newer devices have 3-4GB of RAM so much more room to work with.

RAM utilization depends on your textures (images), sounds, and logic/engine utilization.

Generally images are the largest single contributor to memory usage.

Ideally texture sizes should be powers of two on the sides. These sizes are as follows: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 or 2048 pixels. The textures do not have to be square, i.e. width can be different from height.

This is true of almost all game engines.

They're are also formulas to calculate rough memory usage of a texture.

You'll generally be working with PNG's with RGBA channels so look up texture calculation with that information in mind to get a better idea of how many textures you can use per scene in your game vs RAM on the devices you want to publish to. OR just start testing in GS and see where your at.

Gamesalad uses a garbage collector that tends to run on scene changes, although not always. So your not allocating anything directly to memory, or manually managing it, the engine handles that itself.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

I just realised I've never been ambitious enough to even consider this as a potential problem...

Nice response @AlchimiaStudios

• MegamanKCMegamanKC Member, PRO Posts: 2

Why would a game's memory usage constantly increase, no relation to scene changes? image memory is fantastic, under 10 MB, but total and game engine go from 200MB and just increase constantly to over 1 GB.

• wisavixwisavix Member Posts: 1

Hello Guys i am new here.