Returning user, basic no longer free?

BluSpyderBluSpyder Member Posts: 129

I've been busy that past couple years, military life... I've come back here to find the original basic Gamesalad is no longer free? I loved being able to mess around and create stuff at my busy schedule's expense. Learning, trying things out etc.. Always seen the Pro version option for purchase, but was content with what I used basic for. Now there are monthly charges for even basic? What happened here? That was the golden draw-in for us older Gamesalad users...Not to mention that's also a hefty monthly charge for the basic version...Guess I need to resort to my studies and learn actual coding instead of the fun way with Gamesalad.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Yep, things have changed. The company couldn't support itself on all of the free users. So they are charging for the software they developed. It's not as easy for customers to afford but I can understand why they had to go that way.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• BluSpyderBluSpyder Member Posts: 129

@tatiang Interesting, and understandable. Thanks.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

Unity is introducing visual scripting later this year, so keep your eyes peeled for that! Free and 3D, too (or 2D if you want).

Also, learning to code just enough to do very basic and physics-based games in Unity is surprisingly quick and easy! And once you do, the speed of development is actually quicker than with GameSalad! Go figure! If only I'd known a couple years back...

• StoodeldStoodeld Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2019

XD :'( :D

• famekraftsfamekrafts Member, BASIC Posts: 834

@pHghost said:
    Unity is introducing visual scripting later this year, so keep your eyes peeled for that! Free and 3D, too (or 2D if you want).

Also, learning to code just enough to do very basic and physics-based games in Unity is surprisingly quick and easy! And once you do, the speed of development is actually quicker than with GameSalad! Go figure! If only I'd known a couple years back...

unity learning curve is very high like some 3D software.

If you are a designer you will get stuck with unity because it depends on coding a lot, unlike unreal engine. I was just using it some days back.

Gamesalad also has a high learning curve, but a non-coder can actually manage to create games with it, unlike unity.

If you are a coder making games in unity is going to be easy, but we all come to GS for the very reason that we cannot code.

and nothing is free. Time = Money.

Will wait for the visual scripting part of Unity though. Till then completing my game in GS.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

gs is fantastic for people learning the basic concepts of coding, and applying code to objects, without actually doing any coding.

anyone wanting to move into more serious app creation should really be learning a couple of languages and moving onto coding.

Coding is not everyone's cup of tea. For those who cannot, they have to rely on visual scripters like GS, construct and Stencyl. That is why a team is required for Game Creation.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

it’s not that much different to the application of block commands and application of logic to objects/actors used in gs.

@bob loblaw said:
    it’s not that much different to the application of block commands and application of logic to objects/actors used in gs.

Still for a designer who has not done enough coding, it is like rocket science.

I have used GS before, so I know even that is not easy and I have to rely on a lot of tutorials at the end.

That is why I am writing a book so that a person can complete a game from a-z. Designing and visual coding in GS. It includes everything from designing the main menu to adding ads in game.