Apple requires dev to support the iPhone XS Max & Ipad pro. What does this mean for samesalad users?

geoascenciogeoascencio Member, PRO Posts: 61

I've seen a few articles saying that starting March 27, Apple requires developers to support the iPhone XS Max and 12.9-inch 3rd-generation iPad Pro. What does this mean for us?
Since the highest option in phone screen size is iPhone 6plus, I've been developing my game on a display size of x736 and y414 (iPhone 6plus). My iPhone game won't be done for another 2 months, should I make any changes now?
Will I just have to check a few boxes when it's time to publish?

There's an article about this change.
https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/20/apple-app-requirements-ios-12/?fbclid=IwAR1-Q-VBTNTzwyMOpEO4TCuL2JnafU1UlgOOgI0Ia6LGlxgOkxA-ySTYN70

Comments

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

from what i have seen, the aspect ratio for iphone xs and iphone xs max is the same as the iphone x (19.5:9). ipad pro has the same aspect ratio of previous ipads (4:3).

as long as you have a thing to detect native screen sizes, and then edge of screen actors (for overscan) or camera sizes (for stretch) are adjusted accordingly, i don't think you will have a problem when publishing. should go without saying to test using preview if you haven't got those devices available (you can use custom resolution to do that).

i have used overscan but find that on some of the flatter devices, it cuts out the tops of some scenes from scrolling. i prefer to use stretch, built on ipad, with the camera adjusted for the device you are using. if you go stretch, and want to publish for android, you will need to make your scene size 768 (high) x 1664 (minimum width) to suit the newer samsung screen sizes.

• geoascenciogeoascencio Member, PRO Posts: 61

@bob loblaw Thank you! very insightful!

• paulkerrypaulkerry Member, PRO Posts: 25

@bob loblaw said:
    from what i have seen, the aspect ratio for iphone xs and iphone xs max is the same as the iphone x (19.5:9). ipad pro has the same aspect ratio of previous ipads (4:3).

as long as you have a thing to detect native screen sizes, and then edge of screen actors (for overscan) or camera sizes (for stretch) are adjusted accordingly, i don't think you will have a problem when publishing. should go without saying to test using preview if you haven't got those devices available (you can use custom resolution to do that).

i have used overscan but find that on some of the flatter devices, it cuts out the tops of some scenes from scrolling. i prefer to use stretch, built on ipad, with the camera adjusted for the device you are using. if you go stretch, and want to publish for android, you will need to make your scene size 768 (high) x 1664 (minimum width) to suit the newer samsung screen sizes.

Incorrect, the iPad Pro 3rd gen for teh 11 inch and 12.9 inch model is a different ratio to the previous iPad Pros

https://useyourloaf.com/blog/supporting-new-ipad-pro-models/

the new ratio is more like 1.43:1

@geoascencio said:
    I've seen a few articles saying that starting March 27, Apple requires developers to support the iPhone XS Max and 12.9-inch 3rd-generation iPad Pro. What does this mean for us?
    Since the highest option in phone screen size is iPhone 6plus, I've been developing my game on a display size of x736 and y414 (iPhone 6plus). My iPhone game won't be done for another 2 months, should I make any changes now?
    Will I just have to check a few boxes when it's time to publish?

There's an article about this change.
    https://9to5mac.com/2019/03/20/apple-app-requirements-ios-12/?fbclid=IwAR1-Q-VBTNTzwyMOpEO4TCuL2JnafU1UlgOOgI0Ia6LGlxgOkxA-ySTYN70

Game Salad doesn't support the new 11 inch and 12.9 inch ratios, I have tested this on any other iPad or iPad pro based on the 4.3 ratio will work no issues will fill the whole screen

the 11 inch or new 12.9 inch will give you a black border on you game on the top, bottom and the sides, Game salad games do not yet support the new iPads and for some reason game salad refuses to update for it. It is now required that all games that support the iPad need to now support the new aspect ratios for the new iPad pros.

is it that hard to detect the screen size, then adjust the camera to that ratio as a build in stretch?

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Yeah, it does support it, you can literally support any aspect ratio or resolution with a bit of camera manipulation using stretch or overscan.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Here are some guides to get you started:

http://help.gamesalad.com/windows-cookbook/great-forum-tutorials/universal-build-using-stretch/

http://help.gamesalad.com/gamesalad-cookbook/great-forum-tutorials/universal-build-using-overscan/

I use a custom implementation, but a similar concept to these. Can support 16:9, 21:9, 4:3,1.43:1, 1.33:1 or any custom ratio inbetween and even looks good at high pixels densities like 4k from a single build. Just gotta put in the work to make it universal, you may also need to adjust the UI in addition to the camera logic, but that's about it.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

edited September 2019

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Yeah, it does support it, you can literally support any aspect ratio or resolution with a bit of camera manipulation using stretch or overscan.

ok you obviously don't understand, run any GameSalad game in stretch or overscan it doesn't matter you will still get the black boarders around the entire screen when you run it on a iPad Pro 3RD GENERATION 11inch and 12.9 inchs. EVERY OTHER IPAD PRO IS FINE!!!!!

its just 2 models that AREN'T SUPPORTED.

Also the formulas have been the same since the very beginning and have nothing to do with the issue that i am talking about. So before you comment do you research its a GameSalad issue that needs to be resolved.

edited September 2019

@bob loblaw said:
    is it that hard to detect the screen size, then adjust the camera to that ratio as a build in stretch?

The issue is nothing to do with this, it doesn't matter what you do it won't fill the entire screen of the NEW iPad Pros 3RD GENERATION 11 inch and 12.9 inch.

every other iPad and iPad Pro is fine because they are no different

the iPad Pro 3RD GEN 2018 MODELS are DIFFERENT!! so the stretch formulas and overscan formulas don't have an effect. they will fill the screen to only the black boarders and stop.

The issue is a gamesalad issue that needs to be fixed by gamesalad, in an update. if you have a 3rd gen 11 or 12.9 inch iPad pro from 2018 then you can test it and see what i mean other than that if you don't you will not be able to see it.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@paulkerry said:

@bob loblaw said:

The issue is a gamesalad issue that needs to be fixed by gamesalad, in an update. if you have a 3rd gen 11 or 12.9 inch iPad pro from 2018 then you can test it and see what i mean other than that if you don't you will not be able to see it.

@adent42 any comment?

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

@paulkerry said:

@bob loblaw said:

The issue is nothing to do with this, it doesn't matter what you do it won't fill the entire screen of the NEW iPad Pros 3RD GENERATION 11 inch and 12.9 inch.

every other iPad and iPad Pro is fine because they are no different

the iPad Pro 3RD GEN 2018 MODELS are DIFFERENT!! so the stretch formulas and overscan formulas don't have an effect. they will fill the screen to only the black boarders and stop.

would you be able to post a display screen grab of an ad hoc build off your ipad, as well as your universal build logic for those ipads, so i can understand better please?