How would you describe Gs game engine to developers that write code?

sinbotsinbot Member Posts: 232

I find sometimes in conversation among friends who are deep into software development that I have a hard time explaining what I do with GS. It's not coding obviously but I do consider it programming. Just wondering how one would best describe what we do with this dev engine. They seem to be a little confused about it, or maybe just not take it too seriously lol.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    edited June 2019

It's block-based coding. They are probably familiar with Scratch (out of MIT). Scratch is kid-friendly and full of colors and meowing cats so they may be quite aghast at the reference but they should be able to understand that the logic behind Scratch, GameSalad, and programming languages is quite the same in most cases.

Scratch and GameSalad are quite powerful if you know what you're doing. But each has its limits.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• famekraftsfamekrafts Member, BASIC Posts: 834
    edited June 2019

It blocks visual scripting, a bit like a small version of Unreal Engines Blueprints. But it is very powerful.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

We call it a visual programming system. If they're nerdy you can also tell them it's a Declarative DSL (domain specific language) for games and interactive apps.

• sinbotsinbot Member Posts: 232

thank you!