Working resolution

MullogMullog Member, PRO Posts: 17

What resolution are you working with at your apps or games? Is the default iPad size 1024x768 still good enough on the new iPhones or will it be blurry? I only have an iPhone 7 so I don’t know how it will look.
Does anyone still using resolution independence?

Comments

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@Mullog said:
    What resolution are you working with at your apps or games? Is the default iPad size 1024x768 still good enough on the new iPhones or will it be blurry? I only have an iPhone 7 so I don’t know how it will look.
    Does anyone still using resolution independence?

Resolution independence is generally not used anymore during publishing. But during work in the creator, it can be nice as it makes working on a high rez project much more manageable since the work space is 1/2 sized.

In terms of will it look blurry, that kind of comes down to the resolution of your assets. The resolution/device drop down in the creator is really just determining your workspace size and default camera size, not the quality of textures. You decided those on import, up to 2048x2048, which leaves plenty of room to have a nice, non-blurry game on any device apple offers.

Camera size can be manipulated to fit just about any aspect ratio/device after the fact with some logic.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Yah, I would suggest not using RI and I'm thinking of removing it as an option since Apple doesn't really support any non Retina display devices any more.

RI basically provide a smaller copy your images so that devices that didn't have a retina display could load smaller images and eat up video memory. Now that pretty much all devices are retina / HDPI there's really not a reason to check RI on our publishing pages.

• MullogMullog Member, PRO Posts: 17

Thanks for the answers about RI. I will leave that unchecked.
    Then about the resolution. I don’t have to change the scene size to 2048x1536? I can import my image that are 200x200px and then change the size to 100x100px to get the same result?
    Or should I just leave it as is it? Does it work good enough?

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

if you want to get the best performance from your images, make sure you size them according to binary, and that your minimum height and width is divisible by 2 twice (ie 4x4 px). i read an explanation somewhere a while ago as to why, and it made sense. i can't recall what it was exactly, but at the time it made sense.

your sizes should be (in pixels) 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024. also when designing your game art, make sure that in whatever image program you're using (gimp, photoshop, paint?), that you turn up the resolution.

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Resolution should always be 72. Yes just resize the image when you drop it in an actor to half it’s size. You want all your images to be double the size for Retina display.

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    Resolution should always be 72. Yes just resize the image when you drop it in an actor to half it’s size. You want all your images to be double the size for Retina display.

why always 72?

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@bob loblaw said:

why always 72?

That’s the dpi that mobile devices support.

@bob loblaw said:

why always 72?

That’s the dpi that mobile devices support.

cheers. i didn’t know that.