Networking + Gamesalad

HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Hey guys,

Sorry for the bother - I'm pretty useless at networking and I need your help. I'm building a project right now that needs to update a table using the network function.

Much like AppFormative used to do but since @Hopscotch seems to have packed that in, there's no easy alternative (tried emailing and forum pinging him every month since Dec).

Would something like GameAnalytics using Enhance work and has anyone tried that?

Also, has anyone else found that the Network Send Table and Network Get Table has disappeared from the behaviours list?

I just don't know where to start and if the function has been removed, then it'll be kinda hard to build the necessary network functionality :s

I literally just have to have the ability to send 1 number to my app!

Thanks and hope you're all well. Coming up to my 10 year anniversary here and hoping GS can turn the ship around. Still love the creator!

Hypnorabbit

Comments

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

Not really helpful - but I have been trying to get a hold of Roland for a while, and then just recently tried again. Forums says inactive since December last year.
    Look forward to hearing about an alternative too.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263
    edited July 2019

Hey @Two.E

Yeah it's strange - maybe he's found a better alternative. But there needs to be a solution, surely. I just need the ability to send a number back to a table in the app and I can build everything around that.

The fact those functions have disappeared from the behaviour list is even stranger!

Enhance looks promising but I don't think any of the APKs offer what AppFormative delivers, unless I'm missing something there. Maybe somebody could confirm?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited July 2019

I've spoken to Roland in the last couple of months. He gave no indication that Appformative was being shut down, he seemed busy in no way did he indicate Appformative was being end of lifed. And it's still working, I've used it regularly since Christmas.

What are you guys needing that it doesn't currently supply? The current Appformative functionality will let you send a number to an app. Is he just not responding to requests for paid features to be enabled?

edited July 2019

No it supplies everything I need @Armelline he just doesn’t respond to emails (at the email address on his site) or forum messages. I just wanted to make sure of the longevity of AppFormative before I base most of my networking around that.

And perhaps even buy some pro features...

But without communication it makes it hard to confirm. I’ve messaged @Hopscotch many many times since August. How did you contact him?

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

I spoke to him on Skype. I've dropped a link to this thread to him but he hasn't been online there in 2 days so not sure when he'll see it.

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 438

AppFormative is awesome and I would recommend that option if it is still being supported.

GameAnalytics would not work to save a table.

GameSparks still works but it is not free or near-free anymore.

And no networking functions still work as expected, I used it recently for this app (and game Sparks):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cabagomez.chancleta

• muusimuusi Member, PRO Posts: 111

I use PHP file that collects the parameters from GS's Network Send Table To URL -behavior and then forwards it to a Python script to send the data to GameAnalytics.

These examples will help you to get started

PHP:
    https://github.com/gamesalad/gstable-php
    https://github.com/gamesalad/gstable-js

Python:
    http://download.gameanalytics.com/examples/REST_v2_example.py

Thanks @Armelline hopefully he gets to see this then. Neither him or that Katherina email, or any other form of communication is working...

Interesting about GameSparks @adriangomez but it seems kinda expensive! Like you said, AppFormative is a much better solution (if it's still supported).

@muusi that's really awesome I"ll take a look. Do you use it for any of your projects?

• muusimuusi Member, PRO Posts: 111

This is the first time I use it. My latest game Laserboy. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fi.codespace.laserboy

First I tried to use AppFormative for high scores, but there was no response to my inquiries so I built it on my own.

GameAnalytics gives really nice insights what to improve in the game, especially how to increase retention percent because that will play a key role in upcoming purchases if you are offering a free to play game with IAP.

I am going to test Enhance next week and I can send an update on my findings with that.

Well I guess that's a resounding "no" for AppFormative then. Difficult building an app around a product that is neither supported or maintained @Hopscotch. I guess he's moved on to other ventures. Will check out muusi's scripts and GameAnalytics - thanks @muusi!