RC 2019-07-22: 64-bit Android and Google Play Fixes.

2»

Comments

• hirobagameshirobagames Member, PRO Posts: 15

After last update my games stop working on my phone (Samsung Note 8) they crash before opening before that i was able to update my games with 64 bit and not a single problem happened. But now it there seems to be a problem

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Having the same issue @hirobagames. My 32-bit build (Generate APK) works perfectly fine, but my 64-bit build (Build RC) crashes when opening. Tried to remove all variables from publishing, including ads, custom loader and loading screen. Anyone else experiencing this? Phone is Huawei P30 Pro.

Removed iAP, Ad Mob interstitial ads and leaderboards from the publishing portal - it fixed the issue. Apps open on device. So I'm assuming it's one of those features causing the problem. Pretty frustrating because I need all 3.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

may be an admob integration thing with gs overall. i updated my one current listed project for google play and ios. while testing on my iphone at one point after an ad played, it pretty much caused almost all my graphics to temporarily be blacked out.
    also, like i said elsewhere, the buzz behaviour causes my samsung galaxy tab a6 to crash, so i removes it and re-published.

Thanks @bob loblaw - well I've isolated my issue to Ad Mob. The 64-bit version works fine without Ad Mob. But with Ad Mob Interstitial it crashes on launch.

@adent42 we cant update our games with 64 bit games crash while opening i try with and without admob doesnt work for me. Also tried without play console still crashing.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054
    edited August 2019

Took me a while to figure out the magic combo of compiler flags. I just put up a new RC, please give it a shot. If you run into problems, please PM me the game's publish portfolio page with a description of what problems you're seeing.

This build should fix the admob issues and some people's issues with weird float behavior. I still need to look into the Buzz behavior.

edited August 2019

Thanks @adent42 I will test later today. Just to check it wasn't just my device, I sent the build to Google and received the following error:

"During testing we experienced stability issues with your app and were unable to successfully evaluate it for policy compliance. Please make sure your app behaves predictably at runtime and does not crash, hang, or display error messages."

Will let you know if your latest build fixes things. Otherwise will PM you link.

edited August 2019

@adent42 So game opens now but when we use platform login after connecting to platform we got blackscreen but it only happens at first time after we quit and reopen our app everything works fine even achievements and admob ads (banner,rewarded and int) works fine. So i am updating my games without platform login for now. my phone (galaxy note 8)

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054
    edited August 2019

@hirobagames could you PM me a publishing link to your game. We did test that, but didn't see a problem. BUT, we also changed the code for Android Play to avoid crashes, so the changes are likely the cause of the problem.

• muusimuusi Member, PRO Posts: 111

Hi @adent42 , noticed a glitch with audio (music volume will increase) when coming back to game either from Google Play Leaderboards or Achievements.

Phone was Huawei Honor 8.

• muusimuusi Member, PRO Posts: 111

Lastest RC with Chartboost enabled gives this screen right away when app is opened.

@muusi can you PM me a publishing link to the game having the problem? Thanks

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774
  • supernovagamessupernovagames Member Posts: 19

I'm having the same issue with Chartboost. When is this going to be fixed?

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    edited September 2019

There is something weird going on with saved tables.

In my games I use saved tables for coins and progress. If I have the 32 bit version installed and clear the data from the game (clearing progress and coins) then update to the new version everyting works fine. If I then uninstall the new version and install it again it puts my coins and progress to whatever was the last status BEFORE clearing it on the older version.

So in my example I had 390 coins on my live (32 bit) version of the game. I went to settings on my Galaxy S9 and cleared the app data. Now I have 0 coins. Update to 64 bit version I still have 0 coins. Uninstall the new version and install again, I now have 390 coins (and unlocked levels).

To make things even more weird. I uninstalled everything. Installed the older, 32 bit version. Cleared all data. No coins and no progress. Then I played the game and got 1 coin. Updated to the newer, 64 bit version and still had 1 coin and no progress. Looking good so far. I played the new version for a bit and got a few coins. I then uninstalled the new version and installed it again and for some reason I (again) have 390 coins and the old progress as before I cleared and overwrote the progress and tables. Where is this information hiding?

@muusi @freneticz @supernovagames I made a tweak based on a hunch. Please try again and let me know what you see. If you stills see the issue, please PM me a publishing link.

@vafurlogi I'll look into it. Are you sure the 64-bit and 32-bit versions have the same package name. If not, they will store metadata in different places. One easy way to tell is to try and install both at the same time. If it works, then you know something is up. I'll try to look at it a bit on my side.

edited September 2019

@adent42 said:
    @muusi @freneticz @supernovagames I made a tweak based on a hunch. Please try again and let me know what you see. If you stills see the issue, please PM me a publishing link.

@vafurlogi I'll look into it. Are you sure the 64-bit and 32-bit versions have the same package name. If not, they will store metadata in different places. One easy way to tell is to try and install both at the same time. If it works, then you know something is up. I'll try to look at it a bit on my side.

They are using the same package name so installing the 64 bit version overwrites the live (32 bit) version. Also, as I mentioned it works after updating between versions but not uninstalling and installing the newer version again. It uses whatever info the older version had before the update and not what the newer version had presumably overwritten before uninstalling. :neutral:

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@adent42 The app seems to work now :) hope to not find any new bugs....

@adent42 Have you guys been able to reproduce this table problem or confirm that it's a problem? The testers for a company that releases a series of children's games I make for them refuse to release updates until this has been addressed.

• AshumBesherAshumBesher Member, PRO Posts: 121

I've been having similar problems to vafurlogi but with the addition of freezing upon scene changes, but clearing storage data solves it.

• TechnaturallyTechnaturally Member, PRO Posts: 31
    edited April 2020

Hi @adent42 , did you ever resolve the issue mentioned about the 'Buzz' behaviour causing crashes on Samsung Android devices with the 64-bit build?

I have just tested my game Colibrium on the only Android device I have access to - a Samsung Galaxy J2 Prime (model SM-G532M, Android 6.0.1 - yes, I know it's an old device) - built using the RC from a couple of days ago, and when 'Buzz' is triggered, my game crashes with this error:

Unexpected error:Failed resolution of: Landroid/os/VibrationEffect;

Also, I seem to recall this action only worked for iOS anyway, is that still true, or is it supposed to work for Android?

I want to publish this update soon, so would appreciate it if this could be fixed. Thanks.

@adent42 we haven't worked on the android engine for a while now, so we'll be switching back to that after this next iOS release, so hopefully we'll be looking at android issues this week.

• TechnaturallyTechnaturally Member, PRO Posts: 31

Hi again @adent42 , I know you've been very busy on the iOS fixes until recently. Will you have time to look at this issue? I found that the problem happens on older model Android phones (e.g. Samsung Galaxy J2 Prime running Android 6.0.1; Huawei Y6, not sure of the Android version and don't have it handy) but does not happen on a less-old-but-still-pretty-old tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A 6.0 running Android 8.1.0).

Whenever 'Buzz' is triggered, my game crashes with this error:

Unexpected error:Failed resolution of: Landroid/os/VibrationEffect;

I see that Buzz is supposed to work for Android and it does work on the tablet, but not on the older Android devices. I am basically ready to release a new version of my game so would like to avoid crashes on Android for players with older devices and would appreciate a fix soon if possible.

Thanks,

John Gillanders

www.Technaturally.games