Is anyone else having issues with the unpause behavior?

I create a pause menu using the "pause" behavior, and that works very well. It pops up and controls the volume. Now, when I added a resume button to my pause menu, that's when things got weird. I used "unpause" when mouse is pressed on resume button. the menu goes away as it should, but my other actors glitch. I can't place items on a grid anymore and my falling items aren't constrained in their x positions. Here is a video of what is happening...

Thank you!

Answers

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

My guess is that this is something that appears to be caused by the Unpause Game behavior but actually is not. You could post a few screenshots of the Pause Game and Unpause Game behaviors but what you'll probably need to do is some troubleshooting using Log Debugging Statements to target the exact point at which this problem occurs.

What happens when you turn off the Pause behavior but still click on the pause button? What happens if you execute whatever rules are in the pause button manually without pausing the game and then have a timer (say 2 seconds) that executes whatever rules are in the unpause section?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• jlrobertson1993jlrobertson1993 Member, PRO Posts: 7
    edited August 2019

Edited to remove pictures of preview...

@tatiang thank you! Here are the screenshots of my pause and unpause buttons. after I took those, I added debugs inside their rules to state if the game paused and unpaused. Here are also screenshots of the preview that shows they did.

picture removed
    picture removed

When I turned off the pause behavior, the pause button didn't do anything.

When I left pause on and turned off resume, the pause menu came up but didn't go anywhere because there was no way to turn off the pause, so I am not sure if my actors remained normal or not.

I also tried adding the volume knob and bar to the main play screen to see if that is causing issues, but the game play remained stable.

Lastly, I tried putting pause and unpause on a timer within the pause button actor. So, starting at the beginning of the scene, after 5 seconds, the pause behavior happens and the pause menu shows up. After 10 seconds, starting at the same point, the unpause behavior is supposed to start, but it didn't happen.

Based on this, do you have any ideas on where I can look next? That debug tool is nice, I will keep playing with that for sure!

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Yeah, those pause/unpause rules look very straightforward.

With something as polished as what you have, I wouldn't necessarily recommend sharing it on the forums (on occasion, people have stolen work and pawned it off as their own... it's rare but it happens) but seeing the actual rules and structure of the project would be the quickest way for me to help you potentially resolve this.

If you want, feel free to .zip and upload the file and send me a private message with a link to the download. I'm a moderator on the forums and a long-time veteran of GameSalad and I'll keep your file confidential. I can take a first pass at it and see if anything obvious is causing the problem.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• jlrobertson1993jlrobertson1993 Member, PRO Posts: 7

@tatiang thank you! I removed a couple of the pictures. I will figure out downloading the project to my computer so I can zip it. Thank you!