Any tips to reduce loading time for a scene?

It takes 18 to 20 seconds to load my game's scene.

There's only one scene in the game and it's packed (game is 100MBs)

what requires a long time to load. It is loading attributes or actors/images?

I want to try to reduce it to below 10 seconds.

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

There will not be a huge amount you can do, and this is a good reason why it's not always a sensible thing to make a single-scene game.

In my experience the two biggest contributors will be sound files and tables. Do you have tons of big tables? Can you reduce the number of them at all? Do you have lots of sound files that will be played? If so, consider converting them to aiff files if your game is on iOS. Makes a marked difference with lots of sounds. Not much can be done on Android.

These are other things that will make incremental improvements. Are you preloading art when you don't need to? Do you have actors that aren't even seen but are set to visible? Do you have actors that will never move that have their Movable attribute checked?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

I built an app with 400 small images (thumbnail photos of students) but made sure to reduce the file size of each one. I have about ten tables with 400 rows. No sounds though. So I'm not sure how that fits into @Armelline's explanation but I can tell you that it takes 5 seconds to load on an iPhone 8, which I find acceptable.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited September 2019

@tatiang said:
    I built an app with 400 small images (thumbnail photos of students) but made sure to reduce the file size of each one. I have about ten tables with 400 rows. No sounds though. So I'm not sure how that fits into @Armelline's explanation but I can tell you that it takes 5 seconds to load on an iPhone 8, which I find acceptable.

Test a build with the tables deleted and report back on the loading time and we'll find out how big an impact the tables have :) For science!

• 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601
    edited September 2019

@Armelline said:
    There will not be a huge amount you can do, and this is a good reason why it's not always a sensible thing to make a single-scene game.

In my experience the two biggest contributors will be sound files and tables. Do you have tons of big tables? Can you reduce the number of them at all? Do you have lots of sound files that will be played? If so, consider converting them to aiff files if your game is on iOS. Makes a marked difference with lots of sounds. Not much can be done on Android.

I have 24 tables
    I reduced the bitrate of the images and sound files
    Total images 1166 (35MB)
    Total sound files 191 (37MB)

Total No. of Actors 201

These are other things that will make incremental improvements. Are you preloading art when you don't need to? Do you have actors that aren't even seen but are set to visible? Do you have actors that will never move that have their Movable attribute checked?

I need to check these as well.
    Thx

• 3absh3absh Member Posts: 601

I realized I didn't download SDK Android 9.0 (I only have Android 10 SDK)

Could that have anything to do with the slow loading?