Aspect ratio question for universal build

I am developing a universal build for an app and would ideally like to design it based on iPad dimensions. My question is, will the iPhone version simply crop the app based on the iPhone dimensions(most ideal scenario for my case)? Or will it squeeze the app down to fit the iPhone?

I understand the reverse (scaling up), which would stretch, letterbox or overscan to accommodate for the larger dimensions, but no idea what would happen going from iPad to iPhone.

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

You can either crop it down or expand the sides depending on your preference.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

@sinbot said:
    I am developing a universal build for an app and would ideally like to design it based on iPad dimensions. My question is, will the iPhone version simply crop the app based on the iPhone dimensions(most ideal scenario for my case)? Or will it squeeze the app down to fit the iPhone?

I understand the reverse (scaling up), which would stretch, letterbox or overscan to accommodate for the larger dimensions, but no idea what would happen going from iPad to iPhone.

i find stretch the best way to go, as overscan crops part of the display, and i don’t like the look of a letterbox.

when i’m home later today i’ll attach a template that will (should) fill the screen of any device it ports to.

@sinbot

try the attached basic build. it should work on any device.

if using, the controller actor that adjusts the scene camera needs to be unlocked in each scene, and the first actor on the lowest listed level of any project to work best.

someone said a month or so back that gs won't display right on the new model ipads. if someone has a new ipad and wouldn't mind testing/providing feedback, it would be appreciated.

cheers

• sinbotsinbot Member Posts: 232

awesome! thank you. looking forward to trying out. > @bob loblaw said:

@sinbot

try the attached basic build. it should work on any device.

if using, the controller actor that adjusts the scene camera needs to be unlocked in each scene, and the first actor on the lowest listed level of any project to work best.

someone said a month or so back that gs won't display right on the new model ipads. if someone has a new ipad and wouldn't mind testing/providing feedback, it would be appreciated.

cheers

no problem.

one thing i should mention is that template is set up for scenes where the display is set in the middle of the scene. if you want the camera to stay to the left, turn off the behaviour that adjusts the camera position.

@sinbot i had a quick play around with the build and put a two scene (title screen and play scene) crude platformer demo on it to illustrate the adjustments for things that need a central scene setup, or scrolling scenes.
    like i said before, it should work on anything as it adjusts the camera width relative to the active device and ipad landscape screen height. if you throw in a background image or some personalised graphics, you'll see better how it adjusts.

hope this can help people trying to figure out universal builds, so they can publish across apple and android stores.

good luck!

• sinbotsinbot Member Posts: 232

such a sensible and useful concept. almost seems like it should be a built in feature to the GS engine.> @bob loblaw said:

@sinbot i had a quick play around with the build and put a two scene (title screen and play scene) crude platformer demo on it to illustrate the adjustments for things that need a central scene setup, or scrolling scenes.
    like i said before, it should work on anything as it adjusts the camera width relative to the active device and ipad landscape screen height. if you throw in a background image or some personalised graphics, you'll see better how it adjusts.

hope this can help people trying to figure out universal builds, so they can publish across apple and android stores.

good luck!