Invisible actors upon iOS publishing [W/ BUG VIDEO]

I'm experiencing my images disappear when I play my app in TestFlight. I am assuming it has something to do with publishing. I made a video highlighting the bug for you to visualize what is happening and go into further detail?

Any questions about what I'm doing or insights on how to solve this issue please leave them for me. This is obviously a big issue for me to upload my app to the App Store with missing invisible actors.

Thanks!

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

Before I answer, are the missing actors using the same image as the other yellow actor, or is it different?

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

i’ve mentioned this issue before, as in actors still there, but their images would vanish. tends to happen when returning from an admob interstitial ad, and was inconsistent. sometimes a couple of images, sometimes almost all. also tended to be on larger scenes after 2/3 ads.

• graaplgraapl Member, PRO Posts: 29

@adent42 said:
    Before I answer, are the missing actors using the same image as the other yellow actor, or is it different?

The images of the "X" actor at 0:13 and yellow at 0:26 are the same if that was what you were referring to (0:13 and 0:26 must be the same actor because it is the same level, one on a computer, one on iOS).

The images are set by the width and size of each actor in a scene using this piece of logic:

The colors of the blocks also have no impact on the actor as the images assigned to the blocks are grayscale to start, then assigned a color out of 4 color choices from a table:

There are only three types of actors, each type experiences invisibility on iOS:

In summary,
    1) A block is assigned a size in a scene that I have prepared a grayscale image for (ex:100x100,40x80, and about 200 more sizes I've created and imported into an excel sheet and my project ---these raw images can be seen at 0:58 in the video)
    2) Change attribute IMAGE to its corresponding size and type
    3) Assign random color
    4) Change RGB to the randomly selected color from step 3
    5) [step only for not clickable rectangle] IF in contact with changer rectangle (seen at 0:28) change IMAGE to the blocks corresponding size without X's

@bob loblaw said:
    i’ve mentioned this issue before, as in actors still there, but their images would vanish. tends to happen when returning from an admob interstitial ad, and was inconsistent. sometimes a couple of images, sometimes almost all. also tended to be on larger scenes after 2/3 ads.

Did you find a workaround? I have found no correlation between scene size or ads since I knew to record and go to the exact levels with the blocks that would be vanished.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

@graapl said:

@bob loblaw said:

Did you find a workaround? I have found no correlation between scene size or ads since I knew to record and go to the exact levels with the blocks that would be vanished.

the last time i tried it, the app worked clean, but that was on iphone 7. when it was stuffing up it was on my old se. will give it a go later on the old phone when i get home to see if it still does it.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

Yah, so I need to dig deeper to see why it's happening, but I suspect it's a texture memory problem (hence asking about the actor images).

I fixed the issue. I found that the image I was placing onto it must've been causing it. I noticed the 360w by 80h seen at 0:47 had an image that didn't have the same qualities as the other textures. As I was scrolling through my textures I noticed a few listed only DIMENSIONS and COLOR SPACE. Others gave slightly more detail, DIMENSIONS, RESOLUTION, COLOR SPACE, and CONTENT CREATOR.

Noticing this.. I made the textures match the rest by exporting the images again. Now a resolution is given when the image is left-clicked to "get info." I suspect the undefined resolution to be the cause of the invisible blocks on iOS.

Thanks for digging into it! My guess is that imagemagick was having trouble converting those images into our proprietary format, so the image included in the final app was either not there or in a format that couldn't be loaded.